Programming

Programming Questions? Ask a Programmer for Answers ASAP

Programming

Help! I cannot get my old Dreamweaver 8 or the new Dreamweaver

Help! I cannot get...
Help! I cannot get my old Dreamweaver 8 or the new Dreamweaver CC I am trying on a trial basis to connect to my web site (masterimages.org). I have been using Dreamweaver 8 for years to build my web site. Can you help? I have a new (this summer) PC with Windows 8.
11/7/2013
Pete, Computer Engineer

I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.

To connect Dreameaver to your website after you transfer to a new computer, you will need to go to Site - Manage Sites and follow the prompts to tell Dreamweaver where the files for your site are saved.

Once set up, you simply need to click the blue Upload arrow on the Files tab to upload your edited files to the website.

If you need further assistance, please let me know where your website is hosted, if you connect to it using FTP or some other method, and what settings you are using, along with any error messages you are getting.

Thanks,

Pete.

I have tried Manage Sites many times before I contacted you. I have the correct ftp address and name and password (because I can still connect to my web site with Ipswich FTP 12) but still no connection in Dreamweaver! Help!

Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Pete's answer did not help as I had long ago tried his solution.

Hi Larry,

Please let me know where your website is hosted, and what settings you are using, along with any error messages you are getting?

www.masterimages.org

"An FTP error occurred - cannot make connection to host. Your logon or password XXXXX XXXXX Please check your connection information."

But I just finally got it to work in Dreamweaver CC using masterimages.org as the host name, but it still does not work in Dreamweaver 8. Perhaps the latter is not compatible with Windows 8?

Hi Larry,

Dreamweaver 8 is compatible with Windows 8, however there are some FTP issues with Dreamweaver 8.0 so ensure you have the latest 8.0.2 update installed:

http://www.adobe.com/support/dreamweaver/downloads_updaters.html#dw8

I cannot install the update as the Wizard closes before it can do anything. I have tried multiple times to do the update.

Check that your Windows 8 is fully updated to Windows 8.1 first, then try again.

Yes, it has been fully updated to 8.1 (some time ago).

Ok, I'm not sure why the Dreamweaver updater will not work for you, perhaps try it again after the weekend in case their servers are busy or down.

Once the Dreamweaver 8.0.2 update has been installed, you should find it works much better when connecting to FTP sites.

That's not the problem. I have actually tried installing the 8.02 update a bunch of times over the past month, and the same thing happens every time. I have even downloaded the update several times and then tried the most recently downloaded update.

I guess I will go with Dreamweaver CS6 so as to avoid the monthly $20 charge forever for Dreamweaver CC. I know that both the latter programs work with Windows 8.

Ok, well if I can be of any further assistance, just let me know.Thanks,Pete.
Hi Larry,
I noticed that you have rated my service as poor without any explanation :(
This reflects negatively on my profile.
I'm sorry that you are having difficulty upgrading your Dreamweaver, but unfortunately that is beyond my control.
Would you kindly consider re-rating my service more positively?
Many thanks,
Pete.
Pete, Computer Engineer
Pete, Computer Engineer