Programming

Programming Questions? Ask a Programmer for Answers ASAP

Programming

I would like a custom rule developed that would move emails

that have specific words in...
I would like a custom rule developed that would move emails that have specific words in the subject line and specific phrases in first 15 words of the body of the email to a specific folder.
7/31/2013
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Web Designer

BeBoo :

Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer, a paid expert support site. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be glad to assist you with your issue.

BeBoo :

Can you provide me an example of the subject word(s) and body phrase?

Customer:

Sure. Here are some samples. Hopefully there is no limit to the number of phrases.

Customer:

Not interested

Customer:

Not now

Customer:

Not hiring

BeBoo :

Nope, a simple "or" statement will allow you to use as many as you wish.

Customer:

great

BeBoo :

So those phrases in either the subject or the first 15 words of the body. Where would you like the email put? Trash?

BeBoo :

Also, I assume you are running Outlook?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

a folder called later

BeBoo :

Ok, where is the folder located? I cannot just call it by name. Will it be located under Inbox?

Customer:

Here is an example.

Customer:

Yes under inbox

BeBoo :

Under as in subset under

Customer:

Any emails with VP of Sales in the subject line and the reply with say Not interested in the first 15 words of the email

Customer:

later folder is a sub set of the inbox

BeBoo :

Ok, so the subject will always have "VP of Sales" in it, correct?

BeBoo :

Also, not sure how easy it will be to only grab the first 15 words of the body.

Customer:

No it can be changed. Can we have multiple subject lines?

BeBoo :

Sure. Do you want them separate lists?

BeBoo :

(subject keywords and body keywords) ?

Customer:

phrases

BeBoo :

Yes, phrases

BeBoo :

Ok. How critical is it that it only search the first 15 words?

Customer:

If not first 15 how many?

Customer:

I'm open but is has to be in the first part of the email

BeBoo :

Might be able to get the first paragraph.

BeBoo :

I might be able to get first 15 words. Might be a little tricky.

Customer:

that would work

BeBoo :

Might be easier to just do first 15 words.

Customer:

ok

BeBoo :

Ok, I think I have it

BeBoo :

First, you will need to enable the Developer tab and turn on Macros. What version of Outlook are you using?

Customer:

2010

Customer:

64 bit

BeBoo :

Great, right-click any of the tabs and choose Customize Ribbon. In the right list, check the Developer item and click OK. Under the new Developer tab, click Macro Security. Choose the last option ("Enable all macros...") and click OK. Now, click Visual Basic. On the left, expand all of the items to find "ThisOutlookSession" and double-click it. Paste the following code in. Add/Change the subjectKeywords and bodyKeywords to your needs. Save and close the window. Close Outlook and open it back up to allow the script to take effect.

BeBoo :

Note that any changes you make to the script will require you to close Outlook and re-open it to take effect.

BeBoo :

I need to step away for about 30 minutes. If this works for you, please be sure to rate the service. Otherwise, I can assist when I return.

Customer:

Almost works

BeBoo :

What is wrong?

Customer:

Pop ups open to tell me there is a match

BeBoo :

Oh! Sorry. That was me debugging. Look for any MsgBox lines and remove them

Customer:

Have to click OK twice before it moves it into folder. We have hundreds of emails that come in

Customer:

OK

Customer:

I'll try

BeBoo :

There are two of them. MsgBox theBody and MsgBox "Subject Matched"

BeBoo :

Remove them, save, close Outlook and re-open

Customer:

It works. Your awesome.

BeBoo :

Glad to hear it.

BeBoo :

Let me know if you need anything else.

BeBoo :

Please be sure to rate in the bottom right when you are satisfied.

Brandon M.
Brandon M., Web Designer
Brandon M.
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Web Designer