Programming

Programming Questions? Ask a Programmer for Answers ASAP

Programming

I have a database that is hosted on a remote server than the

rest of my site. The...
I have a database that is hosted on a remote server than the rest of my site. The search form is located at: http://65.74.148.68:7777/pls/golf/golf.extsearch.

I want to be able to retrieve results from a search and place them on a different remote page. Here is a query URL string:
http://65.74.148.68:7777/pls/golf/extresults?lcompany=&lcity=Sacramento&lstate=&lzip=&BR=&GC=&GS=&TY=&INV=&RE=&PA=&WK=&i_info=0&search=++Search++&scompany=on&saddress=on&sphone=on&uname=&pword=

I have tried PHP and cURL, file_get_contents, etc. But my code writing ability isn't mastered so I am not getting a good result.
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/30/2013
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Web Designer

BeBoo :

Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer, a paid expert support site. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be glad to assist you with your issue.

BeBoo :

Are you attempting to place this into a specific part of a page?

Customer:

I want to be able to take the search results and show them on a different page yes. I have reviewed scraping techniques, but I am having some issues in getting the result I want. For example, my primary website is located on a different server that the search engine and database. So, without the use of an iframe I want to use a form to hit the search engine with a query and then the results are scraped and copied to a spot on my primary site.

BeBoo :

I understand. I was able to use this last night:

BeBoo :

<?php
echo file_get_contents('http://65.74.148.68:7777/pls/golf/extresults?lcompany=&lcity=Sacramento&lstate=& amp;lzip=&BR=&GC=&GS=&TY=&INV=&RE=&PA=&WK=&i_info=0&search=++Search++&scompany=on&saddress=on&sphone=on&uname=&pword=);
?>

BeBoo :

I know you said that you tried file_get_contents but that is working.

Customer:

One sec

Customer:

Let me upload

Customer:

I received an error message unloading that

Customer:

Should there be more code with it?

BeBoo :

Nope, that is it. What is the error?

Customer:

One sec

Customer:

Here, see for yourself. This is the code you just game me put in a blank php file. http://powersportshub.co/scrape4.php

Customer:

game=gave

BeBoo :

Do you have access to the server error logs?

Customer:

I think so

BeBoo :

If so, can you please provide the last few lines?

Customer:

I have regular logs..like hits and such, but not error logs. Don't see them

BeBoo :

Ohh, I made a typo. Try this:

BeBoo :

<?php
echo file_get_contents('http://6 5.74.148.68:7777/pls/golf/extresults?lcompany=&lcity=Sacramento&lstate=&lzip=&BR=&GC=&GS=&TY=&INV=&RE=&PA=&WK=&i_info=0&search=++Search++&scompany=on&saddress=on&sphone=on&uname=&pword=');
?>

Customer:

Here is the new code. Check it out.

Customer:

No error now..just blank page.

BeBoo :

If you click Run in the top right, it should work.

BeBoo :

There might be restrictions on your PHP install to prevent remote files

Customer:

Okay, I see how that is working and I thank you for showing it to me working elsewhere.

BeBoo :

phpfiddle is pretty nice for testing code and sharing.

Customer:

What do I add to the remote "form" to have those results get scraped and display?

BeBoo :

You mean the form that submits to this script?

Customer:

Yes, I need to me able to have the form query and then send back results like that. Here is the form for example.

Customer:

Right now we have to iframe this form. Once this gets figured out it will give us more choices and power. Our search engine is old school :/

BeBoo :

Its ok. Just looking at it now

Customer:

Cool

BeBoo :

Form looks ok. Just change the action to the new script.

Customer:

So how would I write that?

Customer:

I understand what you are saying.

Customer:

But not sure the coding

BeBoo :

See on the form code where it says this: <FORM NAME="find" ACTION="http://65.74.148.68:7777/pls/golf/golf.extresults">

Customer:

Yes sir

BeBoo :

You just need to change the ACTION value to the php script

BeBoo :

So, if the script is located at http://65.74.148.68:7777/pls/golf/extresults

BeBoo :

that is what you would use for ACTION

BeBoo :

So it would read: <FORM NAME="find" ACTION="http://65.74.148.68:7777/pls/golf/extresults">

Customer:

So how are variables of the search passed then? Sorry part is beyond my skill level. I had that first part done, just the server sucked :(.

BeBoo :

No worries at all. Each field has a name option. Those fields, with their values are sent to the php script.

BeBoo :

In the PHP script, you then get these variables with $_REQUEST['name']

Customer:

Okay, so the way it goes now. 1) The form I showed you 2) The new action goes to the php script that querys the search engine and scrapes the results?

BeBoo :

replacing the 'name' with the name from the form

BeBoo :

So, the PHP script will need to be modified clightly

BeBoo :

slightly*

BeBoo :

To allow for the form values to be used.

Customer:

Can you assist with that?

BeBoo :

Sure. Let me see what I can do.

Customer:

Just what the form action should be and then what changes to the new php file.

BeBoo :

Yes

BeBoo :

The new PHP file might be a little hard to understand if you are trying to learn it

Customer:

Well that is okay.

Customer:

But if I can do a search from a form, hit that script and it scrapes and returns the correct results I will be happy. I would like to get your direct contact on here to so that if I have any other issues I can pay you to assist me.

BeBoo :

No problem at all. You can bookmark my profile page and ask from there if you need anything else. My profile page is my name in the lower left.

BeBoo :

If you run that, it will give you errors because you aren't submitting a form to it.

Customer:

So what action do I had to the form?

Customer:

lets say the php file is called searchresults

Customer:

Would it just be the url of the php file?

BeBoo :

Correct

Customer:

okay let me set it up and see if that works, brb

Customer:

by the way, I found a different server that allowed for the script to work

BeBoo :

Awesome

Customer:

Okay, this part of the coding is working. Can the results be placed into a page that has CSS, images and stuff or will it just be a copy of the results page?

BeBoo :

You would need to put that html code around the <?php and ?> tags

BeBoo :

You can just put html code in that php file but outside the <? ?> tags

Customer:

That is what I thought :)

Customer:

Okay, I will hit you up if I need any more help (which I am sure I will).

Customer:

Thank you.

Brandon M.
Brandon M., Web Designer
Brandon M.
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Web Designer