Programming

Programming Questions? Ask a Programmer for Answers ASAP

Programming

You are a database consultant with Ace Software, Inc. and have

Customer Question
been assigned to develop a...
You are a database consultant with Ace Software, Inc. and have been assigned to develop a database for the Mom and Pop Johnson video store in town. Mom and Pop have been keeping their records of videos and DVDs purchased from distributors and rented to customers in stacks of invoices and piles of rental forms for years. They have finally decided to automate their record keeping with a relational database.
You sit down with Mom and Pop to discuss their business, and watch their operation for about a week. You discover quickly that a video and a DVD are both copies of a movie kept in a separate plastic case that is rented out. They have several copies of each movie they rent; therefore there are several videos and DVDs for each movie title. You learn that in their inventory they have several thousand videos and DVDs, which they get wholesale from about a half dozen distributors. The video and DVD prices to them are based on the quantity of their shipment and the past business they have done with each company.

The price of a DVD for a movie might be different than the price of a video for the same movie, even from the same distributor. Each distributor provides different types of movies (e.g., suspense, horror, mystery, comedy, etc.). A single distributor may provide several different types of movies in both video and DVD format. It is possible to obtain the same movie from multiple distributors, and at different wholesale prices.

Each video and DVD has a unique identification number that Mom and Pop assign in their inventory, in addition to the distributor's serial number for the item. Each movie also has a unique identification number Mom and Pop assign in addition to the title, and any movie IDs the distributors use in their electronic catalogs. Distributors provide electronic catalogs to Mom and Pop and the information from these catalogs must be included in the database.

Mom and Pop need to record when a video or DVD is rented, when a video or DVD is returned, and all customer charges such as late and damaged fees, failure to rewind fees, and taxes. They need a report of which videos are returned late because there are standard and late charges. On occasion there are discount prices for certain movies or types of movies. Customers want to rent movies based on actors or actresses, running length, type of movie, rating, year released, the director, and the academy awards won (by the movie, the actors, the actresses and/or the directors). Customers also want to know how many videos they have rented in the last month, year, and so forth. Mom and Pop need to keep only basic information on customers in their database, such as name, address, telephone numbers, etc.

There must be no limit to the number of video and/or DVD copies of a movie that Mom and Pop can have in their inventory. Video/DVD ID numbers, movie ID numbers, and distributor ID numbers for videos, DVDs, and movies are all different. Also, each movie must be able to have an unlimited number of actors, actresses, directors, and academy awards (i.e., Oscars). Other types of awards (e.g., Golden Globe, People's Choice, etc.) are not of interest for this application. The rental of equipment, sale of videos, DVDs, popcorn, etc., is not to be kept in the database.

Using this information, you should:
1. Determine and list your entities. Then describe fully the relationships between entities via pairs of sentences that indicate the two components of the total relationship in both directions between the entities. Relationships may be unary, binary, or ternary with respect to entities. You should not have any many-to-many relationships.
2. Begin the database logical design by identifying the entities, relationships between entities, and entities' attributes as we have done in this course. Use the same entity/relationship diagram (ERD) notation as used in class for entities, attributes, and relationships. Sketch your ERD by hand or a drawing program (e.g., Visio, PPT, SQL Modeler …) on one single 8-1/2" x 11" page (8-1/2" x 14" maximum), labeled "Mom and Pop Johnson Video Store Database E/R Diagram." Your ERD should not have any many-to-many relationships between entities. Make sure that all relationships between entities are one-to-many to facilitate the construction of relational database tables.
3. Complete the logical database design and start the physical database design by creating metadata (i.e. documentation) that describes the table(s) created from each entity and the column(s) created from each attribute in the ERD. Attributes should be self-describing. Particular attention will be given to the proper specification of all primary key (via "PK") and foreign key (via "FK") columns in the table layouts. These should match your ERD exactly. Begin these descriptions on a page labeled "Proposed Database Tables and Columns based on E/R Diagram." All tables must be 3rd Normal Form. Indicate any and all assumptions that were made.

4. Make sure your work is neat and legible.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Programming
2/12/2012
Programmer: Eljon, Consultant replied 5 years ago
Eljon
Eljon, Consultant
Hi my name isXXXXX for using JustAnswer.

When do you need this?

I need it as soon as feasibly possible.

OK I'll have it done by tonight.

Okay...thanks so much...if I can have it tonight that would be great...as its due tonite.

So what time should I check back with you?

10 PM EST

Awesome thanks Eljon!!!!

And you saw the part regarding drawing an ER Diagram as well?

Yes
ok
Hi Just returned...taking a look into
My question dealt specifically with Videos and DVDs for Mom and Pop Video store...it didnt include info regarding a credit card or method of payment
That's fine. Just tell me what you want taken out.

Can you take another look at the specific parameters of the requirements below and taylor the responses to reflect the specificities...thanks in advance

Using this information, you should:

2. Begin the database logical design by identifying the entities, relationships between entities, and entities' attributes as we have done in this course. Use the same entity/relationship diagram (ERD) notation as used in class for entities, attributes, and relationships. Sketch your ERD by hand or a drawing program (e.g., Visio, PPT, SQL Modeler ...) on one single 8-1/2" x 11" page (8-1/2" x 14" maximum), labeled "Mom and Pop Johnson Video Store Database E/R Diagram." Your ERD should not have any many-to-many relationships between entities. Make sure that all relationships between entities are one-to-many to facilitate the construction of relational database tables.

Good morning did you get a chance to relook at it?
Please provide details on what you want me to remove since I provided a full database system to be used by the video store.

Here are the files created to meet the requirement.

1. Entity Relationship Details.docx
2. ERR.pdf
3. Table_Definitions.pdf

I think we are not on the same page at this point and I need clear direction of what changes you want as I have spent quite amount of time on this already.

Well it appears that I was sent info that was not "specific" to the requirements.

If you read thru the requirements...alot of the required portions seem to be omitted.

For instance,

Entities...DVD and Videos are a part of the Movie store...not Video Games, Credit Card info etc.

I will take out those parts later. I am at work and do not have the source programs that created the ERD diagrams and table/column information.
Okay thanks so much!
Sure thing. I'll let you know if I have any more questions.

ok thanks! Question are you using Microsoft Visio or what UML software are you using?Smile

Please take a look at what I started and modifed....

Attachment: 2012-02-14_011311_project_1_-sample.docx

Attachment: 2012-02-14_011347_project_1_-sample.docx

How's it going?

Did you get the opportunity to make the revisions? Additionally I do plan on making payment upon receiving the revisions...thanks
Here are the updated files. For the sake of good design I consolidated DVD and Video into Movie with Formats storing the movie type. This allows the store to support another format like BluRay discs without having to create a new entity/table.

http://www.wikisend.com/download/792408/Access_DVD2.zip
Eljon
Eljon, Consultant
I will be at my computer in an hour...I'll open file shortly
Eljon
Eljon
Eljon, Consultant