LogicPro
LogicPro, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  Expert in C, C++, Java, DOT NET, Python, HTML, Javascript, Design.
29751445

Write a Java interface named Searchable with two abstract methods:

* one named Way2Search that returns a String, and another
* named MaxTime that returns an Integer.

LogicPro :

HI

LogicPro :

Could you elaborate a little more?

Customer:

Hello again. I am not sure what to do with the abstracts. The abstracts Way2Search returns a String and the abstract MaxTime returns an integer. I know how to put the abstracts into the public class Searchable, but I am not sure how to write code that access the abstracts and returns the data. Am I making myself clear?

LogicPro :

Your question is clear. If you say to write interface, there will not be any body of methods declared inside interface. They cannot access any data. They will be defined in the implementing classes. So per your question text, you need to write only interface with 2 methods who don't do anything. Does it make sense?

Customer:

So would this be correct:

Customer:

package searchable;

public abstract class Searchable {

// Abstract method Way2Search
public abstract String Way2Search();

// Abstract method MaxTime
public abstract Integer MaxTime();

}

Customer:

Now that I have the methods, how do I write code that accesses the two abstract methods and returns the required data?

LogicPro :

The code you gave is not correct, you are using class, per your question, you need to write interface like this:

Code:
/Interface Searchable
public interface Searchable {
    // Abstract method Way2Search
    public String Way2Search();
// Abstract method MaxTime
    public Integer MaxTime();
}
or
Code:
/Interface Searchable
public interface Searchable {
    // Abstract method Way2Search
    public abstract String Way2Search();
// Abstract method MaxTime
    public abstract Integer MaxTime();
}

LogicPro :

formatting went wrong. Here it is again:

LogicPro :

Code:
/Interface Searchable
public interface Searchable {
    // Abstract method Way2Search
    public String Way2Search();
// Abstract method MaxTime
    public Integer MaxTime();
}

LogicPro :

or

Customer:

OK. But what good are abstracts if I don't have any code to access the abstracts and return something?

LogicPro :

Code:
//Interface Searchable
public interface Searchable {
    // Abstract method Way2Search
    public abstract String Way2Search();
// Abstract method MaxTime
    public abstract Integer MaxTime();
}

LogicPro :

Your question: what good are abstracts if I don't have any code to access the abstracts and return something??

Customer:

Can you give an example of how to access the abstracts with code under the main method?

LogicPro :

Answer: This helps making standard hierarchy

LogicPro :

Yes I can give you an example. Please wait

Customer:

You still here?

LogicPro :

See this code <<LINK>> AbstractDemo.java

LogicPro :

There are 2 system.out statements in the main method.

LogicPro :

These are printing value returned by method add()

LogicPro :

Do you see them?

Customer:

Let me think this through a minute. I think I see what you are doing here...

LogicPro :

There are two different implementation of method add() declared in interface InterfaceA. Suppose class A was written by use and class B was written by me. Both classes A and B implemented InterfaceA and defined method add(). Purpose of this method is to return addition of given params. We both wrote different logic. But the implementation is standard. We both had to write add() method.

LogicPro :

This is the purpose of abstract method. It helps in creating classes which define methods which are fully exposed and documented.

LogicPro :

Read one of my previous sentence as "Suppose class A was written by you and class B was written by me"

Customer:

OK. So getting back to my original question, I would implement the interface Searchable with two abstract methods, those being Way2Search() and MaxTime(). I would then write code, say AbstractDemo.

class A implements Searchable {

LogicPro :

yes. You must be knowing what is the purpose of Way2Search() and MaxTime() methods to write their logic in implementing class A

LogicPro :

Hope it makes sense.

Customer:

I dunno. I think I'm more confused now than ever.

LogicPro :

There should be no confusion at all. Your question was "Write a Java interface named Searchable with two abstract methods: *          one named Way2Search that returns a String, and another   *          named MaxTime that returns an Integer." and the answer is:

LogicPro :

[code]//Interface Searchable
public interface Searchable {
public String Way2Search();
public Integer MaxTime();
}

Customer:

OK. Then I just have to write some code to use the interfaces.

LogicPro :

If you are asked to write logic of Way2Search() and MaxTime() methods and they give details as how these methods should behave, you can write a class implementing this interface and can provide definition to these abstract methods.

LogicPro :

LogicPro :

Simple.

Customer:

OK. I'll keep a copy of this chat for reference.

LogicPro :

If you are asked to implement this interface, let me know what they want to let these methods do, I will write it then.

LogicPro :

You can ask me again using "For LogicPro only" at the start of your questions like other customers to get instant and fresh answers. Please leave a positive feedback/bonus after clicking ACCEPT and ask me if you need more info.

Customer:

I think the Way2Search method is to search for a string and the MaxTime is to return the time and date I think, something like java.util.Date?

LogicPro :

If you can provide clear instruction, I can write it otherwise not.

Customer:

All I have to go on is "Write a Java interface named Searchable with two abstract methods: * one named Way2Search that returns a String, and another * named MaxTime that returns an Integer."

LogicPro :

the answer is:

//Interface Searchable
public interface Searchable {
public String Way2Search();
public Integer MaxTime();
}

LogicPro :

Here Searchable is an interface

LogicPro :

public String Way2Search();
public Integer MaxTime(); are abstract methods

LogicPro :

As these methods are abstract, they can't do anythong

LogicPro :

*anything

Customer:

ok. So I now have to write the class that implements Way2Search() and MaxTime(). Then use a main method to call the abstracts.

LogicPro :

You can write this class if and only if you are told to write an implementing class and you have the requirements what these methods will define in body, otherwise not.

Customer:

ok. I get it now. Thanks for your help!

LogicPro :

welcome