Programming

Programming Questions? Ask a Programmer for Answers ASAP

Programming

Write an algorithm to compute the volume of water in cubic

feet, flowing through a pipe...
Write an algorithm to compute the volume of water in cubic feet, flowing through a pipe of diameter d in feet, with a velocity of v feet per second.
3/22/2011
ATLPROG
ATLPROG, Computer Software Engineer

ATLPROG :

Hi...I can help you with this question

ATLPROG :

When do you need a answer ?

Customer:

i need it right away with as much detail as possible. i am trying to learn this stuff online but the instructor is never available. so it will be self taught

Customer:

Write an algorithm to compute the volume of water in cubic feet, flowing through a pipe of diameter d in feet, with a velocity of v feet per second. The formula to compute the volume flow rate per second is given by:

mathml equation
Full Size Image

mathml equation
Full Size Image

mathml equation
Full Size Image

Customer:

Are you there

ATLPROG :

yes I am

Customer:

What do you think?

ATLPROG :

I could not open these images

Customer:

ok let me type them

ATLPROG :

Can you send me links ?

ATLPROG :

I think I cna see the gifs in this chat...

ATLPROG :

so you just need a algorithm right ?

Customer:

R=d/2 Area=π?r²

ATLPROG :

I am going to just write a algorithm in plain english language...is that ok ?

Customer:

volume =area·v

ATLPROG :

ok...

Customer:

R=d/2 was the first part

ATLPROG :

ok.

Customer:

will it be in c

Customer:

will i be able to learn from it

ATLPROG :

I can make a program in C language, but that is different from algorithm (which will be in plaing english) language..

ATLPROG :

I will do whatever helps you out

ATLPROG :

What would you prefer ? Have you done any C programming ?

Customer:

never trying to learn it. would like to see it as it would appear in the compiler

Customer:

am i being difficult

ATLPROG :

ok..I can write a C program for this as the compiler can understand a C program not algorithm

Customer:

ok

ATLPROG :

Give mew few minutes to write a c program for you..

ATLPROG :

have you run a c program before ?

Customer:

i have the compiler open as the instructer said to thats about it.

ATLPROG :

ok...have you executed nay c programs before ...

Customer:

the book "C Programming" isnt much either

ATLPROG :

I wnat to make sure you have executed a c program before this

Customer:

nope

ATLPROG :

ok...I will write a program and help you understand it....

Customer:

cool thanks

ATLPROG :

You may run into environment issues if you have not run a c program before this

ATLPROG :

However I can't guarantee that you maybe able to run it on your machine...as your machine may not have evreything setup correctly

ATLPROG :

But I will try my best to help as much as I can

Customer:

i can tell you what i did so far

Customer:

Open Visual Studio

Select "file" then "New Project"

Under the Visual C++ project type - select empty project

Enter a name and location for your project and hit OK.

In the solution explorer - right click on source files and choose "Add New Item"

Choose C++ (.cpp file) - even though you will be using "C" and not "C++"

Enter a name for the file like week1 and hit "Add"

This will open a code editor.

Once you enter your source code in this main window, choose "Debug" then "Start without Debugging" to compile and run the program. (Note: If using Visual Studio 2010 and the output screen disappears when debugging – see FAQ item below for tip on how to leave the output console open)

When things are working, you will need to submit the .cpp file for grading.

ATLPROG :

ok...

Customer:

does that make better sence

ATLPROG :

:) yeah a little bit...

ATLPROG :

I am working on the program

Customer:

ok

ATLPROG :

Here you go...

ATLPROG :

Here is the link - http://wikisend.com/download/406134/main.cpp

ATLPROG :

Download it and copy paste the code from this file into your .cpp file

Customer:

ok downloaded and pasted

ATLPROG :

I have added comments to code so that you understand it

ATLPROG :

do you understand the code ?

Customer:

where are the comments. I dont understand the code. should i debug it

Customer:

are the comments in red

ATLPROG :

no

ATLPROG :

comments are usually in grey color

Customer:

no grey lettering

Customer:

black blue green and red

ATLPROG :

unfortunately I do not know why you are seeing that

ATLPROG :

it depends on the preferences

Customer:

how do i see it working. i know i should debug then execute and test

ATLPROG :

right click on the file...and hit "Run"....

ATLPROG :

do you see a Run option ?

Customer:

it says object reference not set to an instance of an object

ATLPROG :

not sure why you are seeing that error my friend

Customer:

you still there

ATLPROG :

as I said I can help you with this program and write it for you...but since you have not run a C program before it may be difficult for you until you run a few sampes first

Customer:

so should i debug it

ATLPROG :

you should be able to run and debug both..same code should work for both

ATLPROG :

I suggest you run basic examples first..before you run a program like this

ATLPROG :

Something like a sample program for Hello World

Customer:

ok so it says the project is out of date and would i like to build it when i start the debug.

ATLPROG :

yes

ATLPROG :

please build it first

Customer:

its running now

ATLPROG :

ok...great !!!!!

Customer:

the command prompt came up and ask me for diameter and velocity

ATLPROG :

yes !!!

ATLPROG :

sweeeeet !!

ATLPROG :

You did it !

Customer:

then it says the program has exited with code 0 (0x0)

ATLPROG :

ok...

ATLPROG :

did it print volume before it did that ?

ATLPROG :

can you copy paste eveyrhting form command prompt ?

Customer:

Enter a value for diameter : 12
Enter a value for velocity : 12
Volume of water flow is : 1356.480000Press any key to continue . . .

ATLPROG :

cool...

ATLPROG :

that woked great

ATLPROG :

that is all good

ATLPROG :

this is expected outcome...

ATLPROG :

show this to your teammates or whoever is reveiwing your assignment and let me know if you have any concerns

Customer:

cool im just going over the code i see how you broke it down to the simplest form

ATLPROG :

Anything after a // is a comment in English language

ATLPROG :

Anything before a semicolon ; is C language code

Customer:

oh now i see the comments their green

ATLPROG :

ok :)

ATLPROG :

They are self explanatory

ATLPROG :

But if you need help let me know

Customer:

thanks i have learned more from you in a hour and a half then i have from my prof.

ATLPROG :

:) LOL...

ATLPROG :

Well if you are satisfied with my answer please Accpet Answer and in future please add "For ATLProg" to your question and I will get a email

Customer:

so whats next do you do tutoring

Customer:

ok thanks a lot your great

ATLPROG
ATLPROG, Computer Software Engineer
ATLPROG
ATLPROG
ATLPROG, Computer Software Engineer