Programming

Programming questions? Ask a programmer for answers ASAP

need a formula which will do the following calculate salary…

need a formula which will...
need a formula which will do the following:

calculate salary $$ x 0.09 if this amount comes back above $15,199.20 then the amount shown is $15,199.20 and if it is below then is amount salary $$ x 0.09 but if there is no salary $$ then cell is left blank with no value error
6/30/2010
Adam Mohr
Adam Mohr, Computer Tech/System Admin
Hello There Sir or Madam!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you today.

What language are you programming in or would like this programmed in?
I can give you pseudo-code back as well if that is more of what you're looking for.

Thanks!
I am using Microsoft Excel 2007
Ahh! Excel - my kryptonite

Ok - I'll give this a shot -

=IF(F25<>"",IF(F25*0.09>15199.2,"$15,199.20",F25*0.09),"")

I nested the IF statements so it should read IF F25 does not equal nothing then calculate salaries, else leave blank.

Not sure if no value is represented as " " or "" but this formula at least reads correct to me.

Thanks!
Adam Mohr
Adam Mohr, Computer Tech/System Admin

Thank you so much!!! Smile

The only other problem I have now is that now when I am adding the Salary $$ + the amount from the formula you have provided it does not add the formula amount.

Using this sum formula:

=IF(F25="","",SUM(F25:F28))

John D
John D, Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant

When the value is less the formula should return the product of the two.

You're Welcome!

Try using this formula to correct the sum issue:

=IF(F25>0,SUM(F25:F28),"")
Adam Mohr
Adam Mohr, Computer Tech/System Admin

Unfortunately that hasn't fixed the sum issue, it just shows the salary $$ still. There are 2 rows in this formula that don't have amounts F26 and F28 (they will occassionaly have amounts though depending on the employee allowances). If I don't include them then the formula works i.e.

=IF(F25>0,SUM(F25+F27),"")

If you hard code them in, will it still work?

=IF(F25>0,SUM(F25+F26+F27+F28),"")

No it comes up with a #VALUE! error. Frown

This formula worked for me:

=IF(F25<>"",SUM(F25:F28),"")

I hope this works for you too - let me know! :)
It works if I have a amount in F28 but if there is no amount then it just shows salary amount in F25 and doesn't add F26 or F27 even if there is a amount in them
Interesting...
It's not supposed to care much if the cells are empty or not.

Does F28 have a formula in it?

yes it has the following:

=IF(K14=0,"",K14)

Sorry I just realised it did, should have told you earlier.

I've also just noticed that if the amount from the formula we created at the start in F27 comes back below $15,199.20 then the sum formula you have provided works, its only when the formula in F27 shows the amount as $15,199.20 that the sum formula doesn't work.
Hello Again,

I think the problem may be that the orginal formula
is putting $15,199.20 in as text and not a number. Try this for testing:
=IF(F25<>"",IF(F25*0.09>15199.2,15199.2,F25*0.09),"")
or
=IF(F25<>"",IF(F25*0.09>15199.2,"15199.2",F25*0.09),"")

If one of those two fixes the issue, then what you can do is format the cell itself to change values given into it to $xx,xxx.xx

IT WORKS!!! Adam you are a absolute wonderful person!!!! Thank you so much, if I could I would give you a huge hug!!

Thank you again.Smile

You're Welcome!LaughingLaughing

I'm glad I could help you out! And my experience with Excel has just gone up by like 5 points or so. haha.