Programming

Programming questions? Ask a programmer for answers ASAP

I have a spreadsheet that shows that sub-totals of several…

I have a spreadsheet that...
I have a spreadsheet that shows that sub-totals of several inventory items. The sub-total command uses column C (Item Number) as the "At each change in" filter. Us there an Excel command that will enable me to copy the Item Description appearing in column D so that it will appear in the sub-total row. The reference to the Item Description that I want to appear in column D would be the Item Descripiton appearing in row prior to the sub-total row. For example if the row sub-total is in C5, I want D5 to grab the Item Description in D4 and copy this to the blank cell in D5 so that the sub-total will have an Item Description.
6/29/2010
John D
John D, Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant

It would help if you can send me the file so I can work on it directly. Would that be ok?

There is no insert file option. How do I go about it?

Ok go to www.wikisend.com and upload it. You will then get a page that has the download link. Copy the download link and come back here and paste it in your reply.

http://wikisend.com/download/603734/Sample.xlsx

My question is how do you populate the sub-total line with the item decription shown in the row preceeding the sub-total line. For example, row26. how do you place the item description "Greens Grade 50 lb" in row26 columnD. I have a worksheet with about 200 pages and thousands of sub-totals.

You cannot do that with the Subtotal command mainly because the subtotal row is created and reserved by the Subtotal feature. You will need a macro to place the preceding text in the subtotal row. Even then before you apply Subtotal again you will need to remove the added text.

John, it is actually the macro that I need in order that I can populate sub-total row with the item description. Can you send the macro?

Ok, I will write a macro to do that. Should have it ready this evening or by tomorrow morning.

Ok, here you go

http://www.sendspace.com/file/19zpf2

(the download link is at the bottom of the page)

The macro is run by clicking the Go! button.

Please note that since there is a macro in that file you need to make sure that you have your Excel Options configured so that macros are allowed to run, otherwise nothing happens when you click the button. If you need assistance in this regard please let me know.

Hope this is ok. Let me know if you have any questions, and thank you for clicking Accept if you are satisfied with the work.

John,

Fantastic. It worked! Now how do I copy the macro to my main file so I can test whether it will work in the large file.

Thanks,

Romy

Great!

Ok I will prepare the instructions for transferring the macro, In the meantime time please go ahead and click the Accept button if you are satisfied with the macro. Thanks.

John D

John,

Just a minor revision please. Can you modify the macro so that it will include the Invty Type description appearing in Column E.

Thanks for your help. I truly appreciate it and will make sure you get a well deserve feedback recommendation.

Romy

Sure. Here you go

http://www.sendspace.com/file/hgsmpb

And here are the instructions for transferring the macro to another file

1- Close all Excel workbooks and Excel programs.
2 - Open the file that I sent you.
3 - Press the keys ALT + F11 to open the Visual Basic Editor
4 - Copy the macro code by selecting all the code lines and pressing the keys CTRL+C
5 - Close this file
6 - Open your own workbook
7 - Press the keys ALT + F11 to open the Visual Basic Editor
8 - Press the keys ALT + I to activate the Insert menu
9 - Press M to insert a Standard Module
10- Paste the code by pressing the keys CTRL+V
11- Make any cusXXXXX XXXXXes to the macro if needed at this time
12- Press the keys ALT+Q to exit the Editor, and return to Excel

13- Save your excel file

Hope this helps