Programming

Programming questions? Ask a programmer for answers ASAP

I need to import 120,000 users into a Joomla installation which…

Customer Question
I need to import 120,000...
I need to import 120,000 users into a Joomla installation which has 45,000 users already. The import list has passwords in plain text and may have users which already exist in the database which should not be overridden. I have tried using userport but the browser hangs after I load about 16,000 users since it lists all existing users and there appears to be no way to disable this without changing the code. I need a working solution that will successfully do this import from a single CSV file for the 120,000 users.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Programming
6/29/2010
Programmer: Arty, Computer Software Engineer replied 8 years ago
Arty
Arty, Computer Software Engineer

Hi.

Can you show 1 line from your .CSV file (with masked password XXXXX)?

Regards,

Arty

Hi Arty,

The input file format is configurable - the source is a mysql database table from which I am generating the CSV file(s) to be imported.

Right now I am using the userport tool's specified format. From userport:

The field separator used for both imort and export: ,
The usertype (group) assigned to new users: Author.
The usertype (group) of the existing users can not be changed.
When a user is added, but no password XXXXX found, an error will be given and the user will not be added.
The passwords of the existing users can not be changed.
No email will be sent to the new user when a new user is added.
No email will be sent to the existing user when a password XXXXX XXXXX
Fields must be - in that order - name, login name, email, password.

But I can change the input file if necessary from the mysql table.
Thanks,
Karan

> the source is a mysql database table

I will either rewrite userport to meet your requirements or will not use it at all (but will create a script to import users).

But in any case I should know your format. I'm sure it is not MySQL from Joomla DB (because there is no plaintext password XXXXX there).

So please provide me sample CSV record (without passwords, emails etc.., just change it to ***)

I would like to clarify your reqirements:

> The usertype (group) of the existing users can not be changed

> The passwords of the existing users can not be changed.

Do you mean that by any circumstances not to change existing users? Or you should change password XXXXX existing user if it is found in the imported db?

Regards,

Arty

One more question - do you have a shell access to that server?

I have no reply from you (what fields do you have in the file to be imported) and I should go away.

I'm opting out, I hope other experts can help you as soon as you provide missing info.

Regards,

Arty

Edited by Arty on 6/29/2010 at 3:42 PM EST

You are right, the source is not mysql from Joomla

Here is a sample record in the following format:

Name, login name, email, password.
James Test,[email protected],[email protected], Ajs10KK21

Yes, existing users should not be overridden. The login name should be unique. The source uses the email as the login name hence why it is repeated in the sample record.

Also, yes I do have ssh access to the destination server.
Hi.

Sorry for delay, I was testing the script. It is ready. You can download it from here.
Here is an instruction how to use it.

1) Unpack convert.php and put it into your Joomla root directory (where configuration.php is located)
2) Backup your Joomla database. Though I have tested the script, everything is possible.
3) Stop user registration temporary. Login as admin from web, Site -> Control Panel -> System -> Allow user registration = no
4) Login to SSH (that's importang) any account (not root) that has write permissions in Joomla web directory
5) Put your CSV file into the same directory where convert.php is located (Joomla root).
6) Go to joomla root dir, then run 'php convert.php file_to_import.csv' (change to your file name).
7) Wait until script will complete execution.
8) Remove temporary jos_users_file_to_import.csv (it was created during execution).

What the script does:
- it creates CSV file in the same directory with prefix jos_users
- it creates temporary unique indexes for 'username' and 'email', so that all new users with the same username or email will be skipped
- it loads jos_users with 'LOAD INTO' command (it is the fastest)
- it recreates access permissions for new added users, so that they should be able to login.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Arty
One more note.

You should give (may be temporary) the following permission to your Joomla DB user:

grant file on *.* to 'joomla_user'@'localhost' identified by 'joomla_password';

where joomla_user and joomla_password XXXXX be the same as in your configuration.php. You may grant permissions as 'root' or 'mysql' admin either from command line or from phpMySQL interface. If you don't have mysql admin permissions - let me know, there are some workarounds.

After granting permissions from ssh run: 'mysqladmin reload' - it will reload grant tables;