Programming

Programming questions? Ask a programmer for answers ASAP

Hello all. I am at a loss for this kind of stuff so I am trying…

Customer Question
Hello all. I am at...
Hello all. I am at a loss for this kind of stuff so I am trying to farm my work out to someone else. What I need seems to be simple but I am just no good at any of this beyond the VERY basics in flash. Below is what I need done, I am using and only have access to Swish MAX2: <br /> <br />I am trying (tried) to make a Flash program that I can load external pictures into and then more or less visually destroy them in a few various ways much like some of the programs that you can 'destroy' your desktop with. The main thing I wanted to be able to do is load a picture into the file and then click a button and a sword would swipe across the picture at a random direction and random spot in the picture 'cutting' the picture. The picture would then slowly separate along the cut as if it was cut in half while floating in water. It would be nice if every time you clicked the button a new random cut was made in the picture chopping it up smaller and smaller till it was in teeny tiny pieces...complete with a reset button. <br /> <br />The randomness is where I got oh so very stuck at. I can make a simple program that cuts the picture horizontally or vertically but only in the same place over and over and forget about at diagonals or off center! I envisioned something that would be random enough that one time you click the button and it might only take a tip off of one corner where the next click it may cut it from left to right almost in in the center with out ever knowing where it will cut next or at what angel.  Here is a link to a simple example of what 'random' means in this case<a href="http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/8084/exampleb.jpg" target="_blank"> http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/8084/exampleb.jpg</a>
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Programming
Answered in 1 day by:
6/30/2010
Programmer: Jim Clark, Software Developer replied 8 years ago
Jim Clark
Jim Clark, Software Developer
Hi!

Using SwishMax the best you can do is to use the "Break Into Pieces" under Modify > Break > Break Into Pieces.

SwishMax does all the fancy ActionScript programming that performs the action. If you are using Adobe Flash, and have enough experience using ActionScript, then you could write your own very of "Break Into Pieces", but it would require significant programming to do what your asking for. I wouldn't call it simple.

I have not studied the code of "Break Into Pieces", but it seems to me that in Flash, each time you make a cut, you'd actually be copying the image, then masking off the portion that you want to hide in each piece, so it gives the appearance of actually having cut the image. Then you'd be managing a display list of all the pieces, and their movements as the float apart.

The power of SwishMax is that it has a lot of preprogrammed actions for you to work with, and you just manipulate their parameters. You don't usually code on the ActionScript level. The tradeoff is that you'll need to use one of the animation actions that SwishMax supports, and build off of it. "Break Into Pieces" is the only one that I know of that comes close to what you are asking for.

Let me know how that works out for you.

Good answer but not exactly what I wanted to hear…. So you know what I want to accomplish so where do I turn now with no programming experience (except CPU assembly language)? If this was your project how would you go about doing it?

I guess it depends on how much you want to achieve that specific effect.

It sounds like you'll need to learn some ActionScript programming, and the use of "break Apart". From there, you'll need to learn how to program behaviors, and attach the behavior to the pieces.

Since you're wanting the animation to be different each time, according to the user's input, you'll need to do it dynamically, rather than just creating an animation that plays back the same each time. All of that indicates custom ActionScript coding.

There are other things you might want to consider, such as the amount of "friction" on the surface to control how fast and far pieces move, and the effect of "gravity" that would affect if pieces fall downward, for example if they are sufficiently small they fall off the bottom of the screen.

That kind of coding is often called a "particle engine". In your case the "particles" would be pieces of the image. There is some example code at:

http://www.actionscript.org/resources/articles/607/1/A-simple-particle-system-using-Actionscript-3/Page1.html

You might want to just explore the site to get an idea of what ActionScript coding does:

http://www.actionscript.org/index.php

A really cool site with a ton of example ActionScript animations is:

http://levitated.net/daily/index.html

I highly recommend it as a source of inspiration of what is possible.

Thanks for the links I will check them out but when I said 'other options' I mean as in outside of the Swish MAX 2 or even outside of Flash all together. Would it be unrealisitc to expect someone to program such a thing for a small fee? The special effects are not of a huge concern in the end. I would rather have something simple that works and is a little limited rather than spend $$ on something way, way too fancy.
Hi!

From what you have described, using Flash does seem like a good choice. Assuming it must be embedded in a web page, using a Java applet, or possibly Silverlight seems plausible too.

I think your best bet is to contract a professional Flash designer to do the job. The amount of time required, and the cost of the job would very greatly depending on their experience and if they already have code on-hand to do much of the task.

You're welcome to post a request here about programming the application. I cannot give you an estimate of what an acceptable price would be.

LOL...that was what I was kinda hinting at in the first post but I did kinda dnace around it because I had no clue if I could get any help. You have been a big help though so I apreciate it. I just wish I could get an estamate from someone. I tried posting on web forums but no one seems to be intrested so maybe it is harder than I think it is? Thanks for the help though!