Programming

Programming questions? Ask a programmer for answers ASAP

I have set up my spread sheets with Automtic calc set for Excel…

Customer Question
I have set up my...
I have set up my spread sheets with Automtic calc set for Excel 2003. Loaded Excel and the spread sheets on to a new laptop with Win 7. For some reason, the spread sheets are not Automatically calcutaling. Have to hit F9 or re-check the Automatic calc once an entry is placed in a cell. Using Excel with a data-logger, but have never had this problem before. Thank you. Gabor Lazar.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Programming
6/29/2010
Programmer: John D, Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant replied 8 years ago
John D
John D, Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant

Which Excel version are you running on Windows 7?. And how exactly did you set up automatic calculation?

2003 Tools, calculation, and selected Atuomatic. Windows Premium

Could you close all Excel files and applications, then download, save and open this file.

FILE

Then type 9 in A1 and tell me what cell B1 displays without pressing F9 or changing any setting.

.

B1 did NOT change.

Ok, with only that file open go to Tools > Options > Calculation and click on Automatic, then OK.

Does the number in B1 change? Try typing other numbers in A1

YES

So there is no problem with your Excel application nor with your operating system. The problem is most likely in that file. If you want to send it to me I will be happy to look at it.

The file(s) seem to have only the problem on the laptop we are suing with the data-logger. The file(s) have been used on several other laptops and desktops and we never saw this problem before. I am not on that laptop now.

Well in that case you need to run the same test that I gave you on the other system. Do that and get back to me with the finding and we will take it from there.

In the meantime thank you for clicking Accept if you are satisfied with the assistance.

The guys in the field today ran that same test. The cell would only calculate if they hit F9 or if they went back and selected Automatic after entering a value in a cell.

No, I need you to run the same file that I sent you on the other computer. That is the whole point of sending you the file.

John D

Thanks.

Please make sure to bookmark this page so you can get back to me later to continue