Programming

Programming questions? Ask a programmer for answers ASAP

I would like to request John the Geek for this request. I…

I would like to request...
I would like to request John the Geek for this request.
I need assistance moving my wordpress files to appear on my root domain www.matecumbeumc.org instead of www.matecumbeumc.org/wordpress. Please let me know what information you will need from me in order to accomplish this such as ftp log in, admin log in, etc.
Thank you, Shirley
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/27/2010
John The Geek
John The Geek, Computer Software Engineer
Hi, Shirley,

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. :-)

It should be fairly simple to move your Wordpress files. First, tell me what happened when you tried it before. What steps did you take and what errors did you get, if any?

Hi John, I need you assistance moving my wordpress site to display on my domain name rather than in the wordpress folder. I want it to display on www.matecumbeumc.org rather than www.matecumbeumc. When I tried it last time I followed these directions: http://codex.wordpress.org/Moving_WordPress and what happened was after I did the first step of changing the url's in my wordpress admin settings I couldn't get back into my admin. (which is what you helped me resolve yesterday.) I also was confused about what files to move and to where to make sure it worked through my ftp. Please let me know what kind of access/info you need to do this. Thank you.
Hi, Shirley,

Okay, if you'd like me to do the move for you, I'll need your ftp login and your blog admin login. If you would, please put those into a text file and upload them to my site via ftp using the following credentials:

host: johnthegeek.us
userID:[email protected]
password: shirley1

Let me know right away when you've done that so I can remove the file.

I will be away from the computer from about 2PM Eastern time until 5PM or so. If you're not able to upload the file before then, please wait until you hear from me. If I don't hear from you before 2PM, I will turn off the above access until I get back to avoid any potential problems.

Edited by John The Geek on 6/27/2010 at 4:43 PM EST
Hi John, I'm sorry I'm just returning and it is now 5pm Eastern. Please let me know when I can send you the info again. Thank you.
Hi, Shirley,

No problem, we just got back a short while ago, as well. The ftp info is the same except the password XXXXX XXXXX:

shirley2

Thanks,

John, I sent my login via the ftp info you sent me. Please let me know if you need anything else. I'll be looking forward to your response. Thanks!
Hi, Shirley,

Okay, I got the file. In the ftp section, is that the user ID and password XXXXX that order, or is the first item the server? I need both userID and password XXXXX addition to the server. You can just reply to this message with whichever one is missing. :-)

Thanks,

Sorry about that:
Forgot user, it is = matecumbe
The first is the host server

Let me know if you have any trouble. I am standing by :)
Shirley
Hi, Shirley,

It's not letting me connect. Either the user or the password XXXXX XXXXX apparently. Please double check both and if need be I'll have you upload a new text file.

Thanks,

hhhmmm, I just double checked and even reconnected with that info and it worked for me. can you try again.
Hi, Shirley,

Okay, I had cut and pasted what you sent, but I must have goofed something up. It's working now. :-) I'll let you know when it's done.

Thanks,

Hi, Shirley,

I believe you're all set. Your blog is now at http://matecumbeumc.org (very nice blog, btw :-)). Your admin is http://matecumbeumc.org/wp-admin and everything appears to be working just fine. Please check it out and let me know if you find anything out of place.

I left the old wordpress directory there, but renamed it to make sure nothing was referring back to it. Once you're satisfied that everything is working, you can delete wordpress_old from your site.

I would suggest changing your passwords once you're sure I don't need to get in there any more.

Awesome, thank you so much...my church will be so happy.
I do have one more question, everything looks great except my image uploads in the individual posts/uploads. For example: there is an image in Meet the Pastor (http://www.matecumbeumc.org/?page_id=37) that isn't displaying because it obviously still had the path, www.matecumbeumc.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/pasterbarbammann.jpg

so I went in and removed the /wordpress/ from the path but that didn't help. What would be the correct thing to do.

Thanks so much.
Hi, Shirley,

You're correct, any images that had the old link would be broken. I fixed the one in Meet The Pastor. It's a matter of editing the page, but instead of using the Visual editor, click on the HTML tab. Then, look for where a URL looks like "http://matecumbeumc.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads...etc. and just remove the "wordpress/" part of it. Then update the page and you're good to go.

There will probably be two URLs on each picture, btw. There were on Pastor Barb's photo. One is the image URL of the photo and the second one is a hyperlink to it so if you click on the picture it will display it by itself. I don't know if you want the pictures to be hyperlinked that way. If not, then remove the hyperlink code from around the img tag.

It's good that you decided to do this before the blog got too big! :-)

Excellent, I see that image is fixed. I didn't realize about changing it in the code too, I'll do that for the rest. And yes you are right, very glad I didn't wait until the blog was too big.
Do I still need to remove that define code that you had me add to my wp-config file? If you could just answer that one last question I would appreciate it and then I can go ahead and "accept answer" and get you paid.
I know it is late so if you don't respond until tomorrow that is fine.
Thanks again.
Shirley
Hi, Shirley,

I don't see that line in your wp-config.php, so it's not a problem. :-) I looked for it before I copied it back up to the site and didn't see it and I just checked it again.

You're good to go. :-)

Thanks,

John The Geek
Oh you know what, I forgot I actually went back and removed it before I had you move the files. I guess it is time to go to sleep since I can no longer remember what I have done. I'm all set. Thanks again!
I hear you. I'm about to hit the sack myself. :-)

You're most welcome, Shirley. Take care.