Programming

Programming questions? Ask a programmer for answers ASAP

Cant see weblinks or certain article pages in Joomla on INternet…

Can't see weblinks or certain...
Can't see weblinks or certain article pages in Joomla on INternet Explorer. It works on firefox, safari, and google chrome.  website is:<br /><br /><a href="http://www.aristeianeedlepoint.com" target="_blank">www.aristeianeedlepoint.com</a><br /><br /><br />I'm building the site on a mac, but checking the site on a PC with internet explorer.  IE is the only browser that does not work.  Pages Classes and the link on the Canvases page should lead to a page of links, but the links do not load on the page.<br /><br />Thank you
6/26/2010
John The Geek
John The Geek, Computer Software Engineer

Which version(s) of Internet Explorer are you testing?

i've checked in on IE 7 and IE 8, the pages mentioned don't load on either.

I did some checking around and this is a known issue with mootools and IE. Mootools is throwing an error in IE trying to reference a property that doesn't exist in IE.

You're using mootools version 1.11 and the lastest version is 1.2.4 so that's the first thing to try. Go to http://mootools.net/download and download that latest version. Replace your current version with the new one and try it again.

Let me know how that works for you.

John The Geek
Hi John,

I installed mootools plugin on my joomla site and enabled it but to no avail. Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
Hi, Debra,

The version is showing 1.12 now, so it's only one release later than what you had before. Did you download the plugin from the mootools.net site?

the file on that page is a ".js" file and I don't know what to do with that.

i downloaded the plug in from here

http://www.kinesphere.fr/mootools-control/

the other file doesn't upload into joomla.
Hi, Debra,

Okay, let's try this:

Go ahead and download the mootools.js file from mootools.net and save it on your machine. With your ftp program, go on to your web site and look in the joomla root directory for a directory called media. In that directory should be mootools.js.

Rename the mootools.js on your site to mootools.old. Then, upload to your site the mootools.js that you downloaded. Upload it into the same directory where you renamed mootools.old.

Once that's done, try your site again and let me know what happens.

no luck. thanks for your help, I'm thinking I need to wait and hope when Joomla releases 1.6 that it works.

-Debra
Hi, Debra,

Are there other files in the directory with mootools.js? I see in the mootools.js file that it refers to "other scripts". Those would need to be checked to be sure they're at the latest versions, as well.

Here's an interesting bit of info from the Joomla website:

"As has been previously mentioned, it is our plan to give Joomla! 1.5 an upgrade to Mootools 1.2. This will allow developers to take advantage of the improvements that this new version offers and to write code that will endure into the future.

We have set a target release date of July 15, 2010 for Joomla! 1.5 with Mootools 1.2."

Evidently, Joomla 1.6 has Mootools 1.2 out of the box, so that's an option, too. I guess it depends which one comes out first and whether you want to go through the upgrade to 1.6 or not.

I have to say I'm amazed that Joomla hasn't addressed this issue given that IE is still the most used browser.

All that said, I would suggest checking out your site thoroughly to be sure Mootools 1.2 isn't causing any other problems. If you see anything weird in the browsers that used to work, I would undo the change we made and revert it back to Mootools. 1.12.

Thank you very much for your help John
My pleasure, Debra. Good luck with the site. :-)