Programming

Programming questions? Ask a programmer for answers ASAP

Im a novice at creating formulas in Excel except for the absolutely…

I'm a novice at creating...
I'm a novice at creating formulas in Excel except for the absolutely basics. Below I have two rows of number that I simply want to compute the average for each total. But the variable is that each line has a different number to divide the total by. The first row would be 157 divided by 3, but the second row would be 136 divided by 5 in order to get the average. How do I create a formula that can know what number to divide the total by in order to get an average??

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 TOTAL AVERAGE

13 77 67 157 formula?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 TOTAL AVERAGE

44 66 11 9 6 136 formula?
6/25/2010
Simit
Simit, Programming Tutor
Let me know what cells the numbers you want to average are in, and I can tell the formula you need to use.

Do you mean like:

Line 14 F G H I J K L M N

If you want to take the average of all cells from F14 to N14, then you can just use the formula below:

=AVERAGE(F14:N14)

Let me know if that isn't what you were looking for.

When I plugged in that forumula -- it gave me this answer

#DIV/0!

That's because the repsonse needs to be divided by the number of entries in that row. Like I mentioned before, if there are 4 entries out of 8 cells, then the total needs to be divided by 4. But on the next row, there might be 6 entries, so the formula needs to reflect the total being divided by 6....

Yes, and that's exactly what that formula will do. If you are getting a #DIV/0! error, then there is likely no data entered into any of the cells from F14:N14. Once you enter a number into any of those cells, you will get an average.

Let me know if you need any more help with it.
Simit
Simit, Programming Tutor
You're right! Excellent -- thank you!