Programming

Programming questions? Ask a programmer for answers ASAP

Can you help me create a formula that can look at a vertical…

Can you help me create...
Can you help me create a formula that can look at a vertical range of cells and find only cells that have a value >0 in them. For any cell with a value >0 the formula should then read the name associated in a different cell on the same row and place it in the cell where the formula is. The vertical range of cells may be 50 to 120 cells high.
6/25/2010
John D
John D, Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant

Would you like me to send you a sample file with the formulas, or do you prefer to send your file so I can set up the formulas directly on it.

I can send you a copy of my spreadsheet with the location of where I would like the formulas written for. It will also hopefully help you understand exactly what I am trying to do. How do I attach the spreadsheet to send to you?

Ok to send the file go to www.wikisend.com and upload it there. You will then get a page that has the download link (the link looks something like this http://wikisend.com/download/527586/Book1.xls). Copy the download link and come back here and paste it in your reply.

John,

Not sure I copied the link correctly as it doesn't look like an active link. Not sure if you can just type it into your browser to access. Anyway here is what I am trying to do. The spreadsheet I am sending you is one that I use for an auction draft for a fantasy football league. There are 10 teams in the league as demonstrated by the 10 column headings you will see in the sheet called "Draft Sheet 2". As players are drafted via the auction, the value paid for each player is typed in to the cell of that player under the column heading of the team that drafts them. Each team must spend at least $1 on each player they draft and each team must draft 5 Running Backs, 5 Receivers, 3 QB's, 2 Defenses, and 2 Kickers. What I am asking you to do, is help me create formulas that will list which players have been drafted by each team by position and list them on the sheet titled "Sheet 1". For instance if Team 1 - T&A pays $24 for Tom Brady, once the $24 is typed into the "Draft Sheet 2" row for Brady, Tom, the program would then place Brady, Tom in the quarterback range under T & A's column. Hope this makes sense.

http://wikisend.com/download/598964/2010 Draft Tracker 2.xls

I got the file, thanks.

I am sorry I am not able to quickly grasp your file or your latest description. I will be happy to assist you with your original question which is more in line with the assigned value to this question. So please try to elaborate a little on the initial question.

Thanks

In column G between G258:G313 of "Draft Sheet 2" there will be 3 cells that will receive values greater than 1 (the rest will be left blank). As those values are placed, I would like the program to read that the value is greater than 1 (as per my original help request) and then take the adjacent text in column B (i.e. - name) for those 3 rows and place that text in cells B12:B14 in "Sheet 1".

Much clearer now. Thanks!

Ok, here you go

FILE

The formulas are in th yellow cells on Sheet 1. They retrieve the names corresponding to the largest 3 values in the range G258:G314.

Hope this is ok. Let me know if they need any tweaking or if you have any questions, and thank you for clicking Accept if you are satisfied with the work.

John,

I've been tied up in meetings this morning and haven't had a lot of time to review, but on first pass it seems to do exactly what I asked to have it do. After I have a bit of time later this morning to review, I will respond with the "Accept Answer" response. Thank you very much.

Bryan,

Glad to know that the formulas are ok. Take your time, and thanks for updating me.

John D

John,

I did find one "glitch" and that is if the same value is placed in more than one vertical cell, it lists the first answer multiple times. Can you edit the formula to list it once and then list the next "text" that has the same $ value.

Bryan,

That is the way the Large function works. If I understand you correctly, if you have these values in the data sheet

Sam 11

Joe 16

Chris 11

you want B12 to return "Joe", B13 to return "Sam", and B14 to return "text"

John,

Sorry if I wasn't clear, in the scenario you outlined above, I would want B14 to answer Chris, but right now it is answering "Sam" in B13 and B14.

Bryan, I am afraid that condition makes it progressively more complicated - a totally different approach. It would require either building a set of transition formulas placed in 3 or 4 helper columns, or a macro to be run on demand. In either case it would be difficult to modify later in case you want to apply it on different source data or in different destination cells.

John,

Thanks for the consideration. For any easy workaround I can just enter 8.9 in the place of 9 or .9 in the place of one. It rounds up for addition purposes, but still sorts properly. Thanks for all your help.

Yes, that should work. Try it and let me know if it doesn't or if you need further assistance.

Ok, I came up with a solution covering all possibilities using formulas.

FILE

Just so you know there are transition formulas in columns AA, AB, AC and AD on sheet 1, which of course you can hide.

Hope this is ok. Let me know if you have any questions.