Programming

Programming questions? Ask a programmer for answers ASAP

I need to get this script to return a dictionary in the following…

Customer Question
I need to get this...
I need to get this script to return a dictionary in the following format:
{'URLNAME.COM': 'YYYY-MM-DD'}

currently the output is

hookuplookuponline4.com
{'H': '08-jul-2010'}
so its replacing the entry rather than building me a dictionary, and the date is in the wrong format, please help, here is the code:

#!/usr/local/bin/python2.6
import MySQLdb
import os
import pywhois
import time
from datetime import *
# XXXXX database connection
db = MySQLdb.connect("localhost","domains","domains","domains" )

#define python whois expiraiton date function

def domainexpirationdate(x):
z = pywhois.whois(x)
z.expiration_date
return z.expiration_date
# XXXXX a cursor object using cursor() method
cursor = db.cursor()
select = """
select domain_name
from domain_info where datediff(expiration_date, now()) < 15
order by expiration_date asc
"""
cursor.execute(select)
data = cursor.fetchall()
for row in data:
URL = row[0]
expiredate = domainexpirationdate(row[0])
domain_status = dict(zip(URL, expiredate))

print domain_status
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Programming
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/24/2010
Programmer: Arty, Computer Software Engineer replied 8 years ago
Arty
Arty, Computer Software Engineer

Hi.

Please try this code and let me know is it working.

Regards,

Arty

Arty thanks for your quick response,

raceback (most recent call last):
File "./arty.py", line 33, in <module>
File "./arty.py", line 18, in domainexpirationdate
l=z.expiration_date.split("-")
AttributeError: 'list' object has no attribute 'split'

here is the error the code is throwing

Try this:

a=z.expiration_date

l=a.split("-")

instead of

;=z.expiraton_date.split("-")

Sorry for delay, it was night here.

Regards,

Arty

Try this version.
I have tested date conversions on python 2.6, didn't test database connection.

Regards,

Arty
I actually figured it out, here was the issue, the date was returned as a time tuple when querying the database, so the current method of splitting did not work. when i did a ''.join(date) on the object, it converted it to a string, and strptime was able to re format it without an issue.

CMac

Hi.

Glad to know it is working.

I've seen internals of pywhois and found an internal date parser, I recommend to use it instead (it is used in my last code).

There are 2 possible data formats returned by whois, both are equally valid: 2010-01-30 and 30-jan-2010. pythWhois parser is aware of these 2 formats and returns always a correct time value.

Regards,

Arty