Programming

Programming questions? Ask a programmer for answers ASAP

For John D Part 1 The current AdjustNumber Sub() routine…

Customer Question
For John D: Part 1: The current...
For John D:

Part 1:
The current AdjustNumber Sub() routine requires the user to:
1. Insert a row
2. End the correct number
3. Run the Adjust Number Macro

Assuming user has positioned cursor in the correct row,

Is it possible to have an Insert Row button that opens an input box asking for:
The level of insertion level (options 1, 2, 3, 4) and the description of the item.
User selects level 3 and "New assessment point" (3-4 line text box) and clicks OK
Adjust Number macro would:

Unprotect the worksheet
1) Insert the row
2) Determine and display the correct number sequence in columns A-F
3) copy the formula from the G column (active row - 1) and paste in active row.
4) Enter the text from the message entry in the H column
5) Run the sub zFormat on the inserted line (don't think any other lines will need it)
Place cursor in I column of active row
Protect the worksheet.

Part 2:
???New Sub to FixNumbering
of Modification of the Adjust Number code attached to a Fix/Verify the validity of the number system for the ENTIRE TABLE.

The end result could be either:
1) Fix it
or
2) Report through a message box that reports which rows are missnumbered and suggest that user fix them manually.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Programming
6/23/2010
Programmer: John D, Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant replied 8 years ago
John D
John D, Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant

Hi Jim.

Went through the requirement quickly and all I can say at this point is that what you want to accomplish is quite clear, but I won't be able to tell you if it's all practically doable or not (especially Part 2) unless I actually start working on it. I can start on it around mid day tomorrow, and only then I will be able to give you a time frame for completion.

Would that be ok?

Yes. My deadline has been extended a day.

Hi John,

I thought that I would have heard from you by now. Are you still interested?

Jim, I am working on. I will be sending you in a short while the userform interface for inputing data so you can check it and let me know if it is ok.

Hi Jim,

Ok, this is data input part. Have a look at it and let me know if it needs anything

http://www.sendspace.com/file/z01nt4

It did insert the line but didn't number so I must have interpreted the instructions wrong. My goal is to make inserting a new row as bullet-proof as possible since we don't have an undo that I'm aware of.

See my suggestions in this file and let me know if they need clarification.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/91xh2m

Jim, you are providing more or less the same information you gave me before. To keep reading technical instructions between the lines is time consuming and can be frustrating. I sent you a file with my understanding of your instructions. In order not to keep going in circles, you need to take it from there and comment specifically on my response so I can fine tune it and move on to the next phase.

Have to sign off now. Will be back later in the evening.

Thanks.