Programming

Programming questions? Ask a programmer for answers ASAP

I have a batch file that is scripted to execute another batch…

Customer Question
I have a batch file...
I have a batch file that is scripted to execute another batch file within it. It wont process the other batch file.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Programming
6/17/2010
Programmer: jnayes, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
jnayes
jnayes, Computer Support Specialist
Do NOT accept my answer unless this works, please test it first and then let me know if this is what you were looking for.

Use the call command within the first batch file to reference the other one.

Here's the definition and parameters of the call command for your reference:

Loads and executes a batch file from within a batch file as if it were a external command. When a second batch file completes, control is returned to the calling file.
call [drive:][path]filename [batch-parameters]
Before DOS version 3.3:
command /c [drive:][path]filename [batch-parameters]

Justin,

I have not worked with batch files much so I would greatly appreciate it if you would insert the call into the following batch file so I can see where it needs to be placed.

Thanks,

Jennifer

WSK_LOAD.BAT

@echo off
rem--------------------------------------------------------------------

rem !!! DO NOT REMOVE OR MODIFY THIS FILE !!!
rem !!! THIS FILE IS USED BY THE eCBT SYSTEM !!!

SET ECBT_DEFAULT_SERVER_NAME=WR-TESTING1
SET ECBT_BATCH_HOME=C:\ETSBATCH
SET ECBT_HOME=\\WR-TESTING1\tdms
set ecbt_logfile=%ECBT_BATCH_HOME%\wsk.log
SET ECBT_CLIENT_VERSION=4.0

rem----------------------------------------------------------------------
if exist %ECBT_HOME%\client\bin\wks.bat goto avail
echo Cannot access %ECBT_HOME%!
echo Attempting to open the share ...
echo If you see the share window, please close it to proceed ...
rem------------------------------------------------------------------------

:avail
%ECBT_HOME%\client\bin\wks.bat

Its been awhile, but should be last line.

:avail
CALL %ECBT_HOME%\client\bin\wks.bat

Just add call. Let me know if it works. If it doesn't please tell me the error.

Justin,

The CALL did not resolve the issue. The window opens like it should but does not provided the needed login window for students to log into the server.

I am currently trying to figure out how to get a batch file to run correctly in Windows 7. I have looked on the Internet and have not had much success in finding any useful information on the issue I am encountering.

BATCH FILE SHOULD- The batch file is to open a window to allow students to test on a TDSM server created by ETS eCBT - The test is a CLEP Exam. The batch file is to open the workstation for students to use and it looks like it loads but the Welcome/Login Screen never appears as it should.

I have tried everything I can think of: Run as Administrator, Moved files to run from the HD, made sure all files and folders associated with the program were shared with users and computers, had Windows 7 run compatibility which says it does not contain an .exe file to run, and re-wrote the batch file using the call function you suggested.

I know it is connecting to the TDMS server as I can see it on the server. The only thing it does not do is bring up the window which is necessary to login to the testing server. The window opens like it should but does not produce the login boxes.

Hope this helps you out,

Jennifer

Na, I know your basic batch files for domain logins and such. I think there's a programming section on this site that I can move your question to. I'll opt out and try to get your post moved over there.

Justin,

Thank you I appreciate all the help you have given me.

Jennifer

Has anyone else had time to look at my issue?