Programming

Programming questions? Ask a programmer for answers ASAP

I am looking for expert in java who can look into four five…

Customer Question
I am looking for expert...
I am looking for expert in java who can look into four five customized collection classes and let us know where is memory leak. I will send code to expert as followup
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Programming
6/17/2010
Programmer: Kevin Bui, Computer Software Engineer replied 8 years ago
Kevin Bui
Kevin Bui, Computer Software Engineer

Can you please post the files on wikisend.com? I can take a look and try to find them.

Regards,

Kevin
Hi Kevin,
Here is download link

http://wikisend.com/download/930714/datastructure.rar

few details:
basically arraymap binaryNode and elements in our application keep on increasing and don't get garbage collected for some reason and eventually application goes out of memory after 7 to 8 hours

you should be able to write unit test to reproduce same behaviour

Regards,
Indu
Kevin,
Do you think you will be able to address this issue

Regards,
Indu
I am taking a look at it right now!
just checking .. thanks
I believe here is your problem:

[CODE] public void destroy(BinaryNode node)
{
node = null;
}
[/CODE]

Java passes references by value as well, so the "node" reference in the function is actually a COPY of the original reference passed to it. That is, when you're setting it to null, the original reference will still NOT be null (and so the object will not be destroyed). This is a common caveat of the Java language :( Unfortunately, this means that you will need to set the original reference outside the function to null in order to destroy the object upon GC.
To demonstrate what I meant, here is a code example:

[CODE] public static void main(String[] args) {
Object o = new Object();
destroy(o);
System.out.printf("Object is%s null.\n", o == null ? "" : " NOT");
}

public static void destroy(Object o) {
o = null;
}
[/CODE]

As you can see, the output will be "Object is NOT null." even when we had set the object reference to null inside the destroy method.
we are doing testing to see if that is the only problem to cause leak if not then we will provide you unit test to show exact problem later today. Thanks for your time so far
No problem! Let me know if you need any further assistance!
Hi Kevin,
We still have leak after updating destroy method.
We spent more time profiling but couldn't figure out so far why these objects are not getting GCed . Any other ideas..