Programming

Programming questions? Ask a programmer for answers ASAP

Hello, Ive a series of programs written in Oracle Sql and…

Customer Question
Hello, I've a series of programs...

I've a series of programs written in Oracle Sql and these series of programs should run only if the source table is populated. This source table is populated with dates - if this table is empty the rest of the programs should not run and exit the application.

Any sql to support this query would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks & regards
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Programming
6/16/2010
Programmer: Jim Clark, Software Developer replied 8 years ago
Jim Clark
Jim Clark, Software Developer
Hi!

I see no one has responded to your questions. I'm not an expert on Oracle SQL, and I don't have an installation to test this on. I work mostly with MS SQL Server and MySQL. Still, I might be able to get you moving in the right direction. Consider this approach:

declare cnt number;

begin
select count(*) into cnt from all_tables
where table_name = 'test.table1';

if cnt = 1 then
exit
end if;

Adjust your query according to your specific needs. I'm not positive about using EXIT or QUIT. You might send a return value back if you need to.

I hope that helps. I'll be happy to assist you further, or opt-out of the question entirely if you feel you might be better served by another expert. I responded because it looked like no one else had. Please don't press Accept unless you are satisfied. You are not compelled in any way to credit me unless you are completely satisifed. Wish I could help more.

Thanks James,

But logic is not working ....

Ok.

For me to go futher, I'll need a more complete description of that you're programming and how you are working with it, so I can understand what is not working.

Thanks.

Pl. try the following code and let me know how it goes:

CREATE TABLE _DATES AS

SELECT distinct A.*, B.REQUIRED_COPY

FROM MSGS_TBL A,

MSGS_TBL B,

WHERE A.REQUEST_ID = B.REQUEST_ID AND

A.MSG_ID = B.MSG_ID AND

B.END_DT = '31DEC9999';

select count(*) from cmurgent_dates;

declare cnt number;

begin

select count(*) into cnt from cmurgent_dates;

if cnt = 1 then

exit

end if;

If the _dates table is empty the rest of the other code should not run.

BELOW IS THE ERROR:

ERROR at line 5:
ORA-06550: line 5, column 7:
PLS-00103: Encountered the symbol "end-of-file" when expecting one of the
following:
begin case declare end exception exit for goto if loop mod
null pragma raise return select update while with
<an identifier> <a double-quoted delimited-identifier>
<a bind variable> << close current delete fetch lock insert
open rollback savepoint set sql execute commit forall merge
pipe

Hi!

I got your code examples. I'll need to install Oracle to test it, and that will take me at least a day. I'm going to opt-out of the questions for now. Another expert may have a solution more quickly. I'll let you know once I have a chance to try out the code.

Thanks.