Programming

Programming questions? Ask a programmer for answers ASAP

I am having an excel/vba issue. Below I have data Security…

Customer Question
I am having an excel/vba...
I am having an excel/vba issue. Below I have data
Security Total owned Customer
35ybgws 15,000,000 Kipper
45876ghgh 45,000,000 Dan
fgw34t 45,000,000 Alex
fgw34t 36,000,000 Jackson
re54htgewt3 16,000,000 Tanner
rger5445 45,000,000 Ben
sfew45tyhm 36,000,000 Layla
vbedgrwe 25,000,000 Tanner
vbedgrwe 170,000,000 Kara
w2t3ryhtrrgw 19,000,000 Kyle
w2t3ryhtrrgw 16,000,000 Tyson
This is data describing tot holdings of the securities. Each month int is paid to the sec and as you see some securities are held by multiple custs. Below is the data for interest for the month
Security Interest
35ybgws 54,456.00
45876ghgh 456,554.00
fgw34t 3,233.00
rger5445 211,115.00
vbedgrwe 432,523.00
w2t3ryhtrrgw 555.00
I need a VBA code or something that will return the sec,customer,position and interest to calc how much int goes to each cust. So if $100 in interest is paid and 3 custs own it 10%, 10% and 80% I need to break it down to $10 for 2 and $80 for 1. I need a macro.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Programming
6/15/2010
Programmer: John D, Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant replied 8 years ago
John D
John D, Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant

HiCustomer

Could you send me your file, that would help me better understand the question.

Yeah so it didn't stay the way I types so it makes no sense! How can I send you the file?

Ok, to send the file go to www.wikisend.com and upload it there. You will then get a page that has the download link. Copy the download link and come back here and paste it in your reply.

If the file has sensitive information let me know before you upload it.

This shouldn't be sensitive. Let me know if you need more info.

http://wikisend.com/download/497860/Dummy%20Data.xlsx

Got the file, thanks.

However your desorption above does not seem to apply to the data in that file. Could you please explain what you are trying to do, making references to the data in the file.

Also it would help if you can give an example or two showing the desired result and where you want the result to be placed.

So every month, we get interest that has to be paid to our customers who own certain securities. On tab one I run a query which gives me all of our holdings. On tab two, I have imported this month's interest that is due to our customers. If there were not multiple customers that held one security I would just do a V look up to get the owner of to know who to give the interest to on tab two. Because I have certain securities that are owned by multiple customers I need a way to automatically (with a macro) know what percentage of the interest to give to each customer. For instance: The security "GLK2321" is paying out $1,909.375.00 in interest today. I have 4 customers who own this security: Tyson, Edward, Mollie and Yaris. In total we have $117,500,000.00 of this security and as you can see each customer owns a different percentage of the total. Tyson(12,500,000),Edward(70,000,000), Mollie(25,000,000), Yaris(10,000,000).

I need a macro that will automatically give me a list of every customer that has the security and how much of the interest I should be paying them.

Ok, I think I managed to get it done with formulas only. Of course I can do it with a macro but I think you're going to find it more practical and easier this way (especially since the results will come out automatically without any need to push a button to run the macro)

Here you go

FILE

The formulas are in column H (yellow cells)

Hope this is ok. Try it and let me know if it needs any adjustments or if you have any questions, and thank you for clicking Accept if you are satisfied with the work.

John D

Is the interest distributed the way you had in mind, or do I need to change the logic of the distribution?

This is great, thanks a lot!

You are welcome :)

Hi, so I am trying to use the formula in my actual file and can't seem to get it to work. I'm not sure if it's because the whole file name is XXXXX XXXXX formula or what but I keep getting an error. Is there any way you could just type the formula for me? Thanks if you don't mind. I'm sorry to follow up. You have been so helpful.

Hi Alyson,

No there is no file name in the formula. It should work in any file, provided the source sheet is called exactly "Today's Interest". Also you need to have these lists in the following columns:

Security ID in column B

Balance in column F

As for typing the formula for you, here is the formula in H2:

=IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(B2,'Today''s Interest'!A:B,2,0)*F2/SUMPRODUCT(($B$2:$B$514=B2)*($F$2:$F$514))),"",VLOOKUP(B2,'Today''s Interest'!A:B,2,0)*F2/SUMPRODUCT(($B$2:$B$514=B2)*($F$2:$F$514)))

If you still need help send me your actual file and I will be happy to fix it for you

I'm sorry, I am trying to make my range bigger so 514 I need to be like 1000 but I can't just change it in the formula. Why?

You need to replace all four occurrences of 514 in the formula with 1000. Here is the modified formula in cell H2

=IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(B2,'Today''s Interest'!A:B,2,0)*F2/SUMPRODUCT(($B$2:$B$1000=B2)*($F$2:$F$1000))),"",VLOOKUP(B2,'Today''s Interest'!A:B,2,0)*F2/SUMPRODUCT(($B$2:$B$1000=B2)*($F$2:$F$1000)))

So when I change it in my file, it changes the answer but when I changed it in your file, it was right. Do you know why this could be? I really am sorry for all of the follow up.

Ok please send me your file (or a smaller version of your file) so that I will be able to help you.

http://wikisend.com/download/151016/Fina P&I working doc.xlsx

Here is the link. TY

Here you go

http://wikisend.com/download/598062/Fina%20P&I%20working%20doc%201.xlsx

The modified formulas are in the same column (column I)

Hope this is ok. Let me know if you have any questions