Programming

Programming questions? Ask a programmer for answers ASAP

Hi, I want to prevent people from moving copying a file to…

Customer Question
Hi, I want to prevent...
Hi, I want to prevent people from moving\copying a excel spreadsheet file to a different file directory. Is it possible to create a macro to close the file when opening, if the opening file directory location does not match the default setting.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Programming
6/14/2010
Programmer: Arty, Computer Software Engineer replied 8 years ago
Arty
Arty, Computer Software Engineer

> Is it possible to create a macro to close the file when opening, if the opening file directory location does not match the default setting.

That's impossible. Users can disabe macro while opening file, they can just copy-paste the file in explorer without opening it.

Sure you may wait for other experts replies, but as far as I know you can't prevent them from copying file to the different location.

Regards,

Arty

Edited by Arty on 6/14/2010 at 1:36 PM EST
Programmer: Jim Clark, Software Developer replied 8 years ago
Jim Clark
Jim Clark, Software Developer
Hi!

Yes and no. If you are trying to ensure that the spreadsheet is located where other resources are available, then yes. You can prevent the spreadsheet from functioning if it is located somewhere other than the default directory.

But if you cannot prevent the speadsheet from being copied to a new location without locking access permissions. And as far as I know you cannot prevent the user from turning off macros. So it's not copy protection in that regard.

So, given that, if you want a macro to check that the Worksheet is located in a particular folder location, show a message box, and force it to quit if it is not in the right place, then here is one way...

Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
Dim sPath As String
sPath = ActiveWorkbook.Path
If (sPath <> "C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Desktop") Then
MsgBox "This Excel worksheet only works in the original location."
ActiveWorkbook.Close
End If
End Sub

This version will check the location every time a selection is made.

Let me know if that helps, or if you have other questions and feel that I can assist further.