Programming

Programming questions? Ask a programmer for answers ASAP

I am trying to cull data points from multiple sources that…

Customer Question
I am trying to cull...
I am trying to cull data points from multiple sources that are calculating milestones in days and then average them. However, when only the first part of the calculation has happened, for example First patient identified to last patient identified, and only the first patient has been identified, it comes up with a negative number. Then when the averages are calculated it's taking that negative number into consideration even though it's only one trial that has completed that item. So the averages are all messed up. Is there an IF THEN statement I can create that will eliminate the negative numbers from being included in the calculation?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Programming
6/13/2010
Programmer: John D, Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant replied 8 years ago
John D
John D, Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant

Assuming your list is in column A starting from A1 to A99, use the following array formula to average only the positive numbers:

=AVERAGE(IF(A1:A99>0,A1:A99))

Please note that since this is an 'array' formula you need to press Shift + Ctrl + Enter keys together instead of just the Enter key after entering the formula.

Hope this helps Let me know if you have any questions

Unfortunately, in looking at the data, there are in fact numbers that need to be included in the calculations that ARE negative: For example, protocol signature date to vendor contrac is negative....additionally there are numbers that due to the calculation of dates are positive (large positive) when a part of the calculation is missing....any thoughts?

There must be a way to identify which numbers should be included and which numbers shouldn't.

So what is the rule?

Also is there anything from the adjacent columns that can tell us which numbers to exclude?

Edited by John D on 6/13/2010 at 3:15 PM EST
Hi there, So sorry for my tardy reply, I was getting home....
Anyway...here's what I think...this master metric workbook is linked to three other workbooks which capture data on three different types of clinical research trials. the large numbers whether negative or positive are produced when one date of the formula is missing in the source workbook...then when it gets transfered into the master metrics book, it gets this crazy number because of the source.

So what I'm thinking is that I need to write some type of IF THEN at the source data so the cell that's pulling into the metrics page is 0 if both parts of the formula aren't there....what do you think?

Thanks

The formula that I gave you is indeed a type of IF THEN statement, which, unlike the standard IF THEN statement which functions on a single cell, this one acts on the entire range in one go.

We can add other conditions to the 'average if' function so that it looks at adjacent columns as well and averages for example all numbers in column A where the corresponding values in column B are not 0. Would you like me to send a sample file?

Hi there, Yes, I know that it was an IF THEN for a selection of cells as opposed to a single cell...

when I posed my original question to you I was thinking that it would be best to IF THEN the master metrcis sheet, when in fact it may be easier and more accurate to IF THEN the source. Here's an example of what I am saying:

Source followed by preliminary date calcutations
FSFV 15-Apr-10
LSLV 15-May-12
Database Lock 15-Jul-12
Last COV 15-Oct-12

FSFV to LSLV 761
LSLV to Database Lock 61
Database Lock to Last COV 92

As you can see there are dates in all four fields. If however the FSFV has occured but not the LSLV, then we get this:

FSFV 15-Apr-10
LSLV
Database Lock 15-Jul-12
Last COV 15-Oct-12

FSFV to LSLV -38821
LSLV to Database Lock 39643
Database Lock to Last COV 92

Since the calculation can't be completed because one of the necessary points is missing, we get this large negative number.

Then when this prelimiary data is linked to the master metric sheet which is comparing many types if clinical trials for an overall average, this negative number is XXXXX in.

So, if we were to create an IF THEN statement at the preliminary place....to not show the negative number, but to show a zero...Like IF either part of the formula is blank then the cell shows 0, it wouldn't impact the master metric sheet.

Thanks and so sorry to be such a pain on a Sunday Morning....

Ok it is becoming more clear now.

I need however to have the file so I can set up the formula with proper references to the data. Is it ok to send me that file. If so I will give the instructions for uploading it.

Heck ya.

Ok, go to www.wikisend.com and upload it there. You will then get a page that has the download link. Copy the download link and come back here and paste it in your reply.

If the file has sensitive information let me know before you upload it.

Okay, I'll send one of the files, can I then complete it for the rest of the files? Thre are 18 tabs on 3 files that feed into this master metric. So if you complete the necessary steps for one of them, will it be evident enough for me to see it to complete the others?
Thanks

http://wikisend.com/download/534002/FOR JOHN Outsourced_MultiCenter.xls

Ok, I am looking at the "Drug01" sheet which is the only sheet that has values, but I do not see the values that you have posted in your previous message. There are only dates in rows 12 to 15 but I don't see any FSFV or LSLV values. Am I missing something here?

This is what I show

Protocol Number 774205
Study Phase 2
Planned number of sites 25
Planned enrollment period (months) 24
Protocol Signature Date 31-Mar-10
Vendor Contract Execution Date
First Site Selected 15-Mar-10
Last Site Selected 16-Apr-10
First Site Initiated 1-May-10
Last Site Initiated 1-Jun-10
FSFV 15-Apr-10
LSLV 15-May-10
Database Lock 15-Jul-12
Last COV 15-Oct-12

And really the dates don't matter, I am getting this ready to deploy....it's the metrics summary sheet where the large numbers show up....

Exactly, but my question was where did you get the values that you posted earlier, e.g.

FSFV to LSLV 761
LSLV to Database Lock 61
Database Lock to Last COV 92

If these values are number of days they certainly are not correct for that data (e.g. LSLV - FSFV = 15-May-2010 less 15-Apr-2010 = 30, not 761)

What gives?

The numbers I used before were just in there for examples. If you look at the numbers for what's in there now and how it calculates it's right:

FSFV 15Apr2010 LSLV 15May2010 = 30 days
then LSLV 15May2010 to Database Lock 15Jul2012 = 792

Thanks.

Ok, here are the formulas (in the yellow cells) that take care of all possibilities that may lead to either a,negative number or an error message, or a incorrect large result.

So if any of the dates are not available or if the second date is earlier that the first date, the formula will return 0

FILE

Hope this is ok. Let me know if you have any questions, and thank you for clicking Accept if you are satisfied with the work.

John D

Thanks :)