Programming

Programming questions? Ask a programmer for answers ASAP

Combo Box problem-Combo box 1 needs to use code where other…

Customer Question
Combo Box problem-Combo box 1...
Combo Box problem-Combo box 1 needs to use code where other combo boxes are populated by a Lookup. The selection in combobox1 must determine the valid selections in the remaining combo boxes.

I uploaded the file at:
http://wikisend.com/download/608526/Dave Test 06-07-10.xls

The issue is on frmCustInfo. On worksheet SSC Order Form-Page1 click the company logo and the form pop’s up. It should work that as combo box Species1 changes (i.e., Alder to Melamine) the remaining combo boxes

DoorStylePrimCode, DoorStylePrimBead, DoorStylePrimEdge, DoorStylePrimPanel

get repopulated ONLY with available choices that match that species from the Door Matrix and Drawer Matrix worksheets. Thus, if picking Species1, either initially or by changing it, the correct door style, edge profile, framing bead, and panel raise need to be the only available choices.

Currently when you change Species1, the other combo boxes do not repopulate correctly or show the correct range of choices.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Programming
6/11/2010
Programmer: Arty, Computer Software Engineer replied 8 years ago
Arty
Arty, Computer Software Engineer

Thank you for using our services.

I've downloaded your xls. There is a lot of code.
May be I can fix it in 3-4 hours.

As far as I remember, problem with combo box is that their content is static and you can't change it. It is populated upon creation and can't be changed.
I see two possible scenarios - one is to create that depending combo boxes dymanically after the user selects 'Species1' or try to use another (dymanic) rows source.

Please wait for further updates.

Regards,
Arty
> Thus, if picking Species1, either initially or by changing it, the correct door style, edge profile, framing bead, and panel raise need to be the only available choices.

How can I determine which (Code, Bread,Profile,Raise) fits specific Species1?
Please refer me to specific worksheets, pages/columns.

Regards,
Arty
Arty,

Sorry I went offline last night and just saw your post. The Door Matrix and Drawer Matrix worksheets are where you find the correct Door Code, Bead, Profile and Raise. If you look in column A (Code) as an example, if you scroll right, you will begin to see each of the available choices for that door code.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for reply.

I need further clarification.

Suppose user selects 'Foil'. Where to take all the other data. Can you step-by-step provide what to do next on the 'Door Matrix' sheet and 'Drawer Matrix'.

> If you look in column A (Code) as an example, if you scroll right, you will begin to see each of the available choices for that door code.

There is no 'Foil' code in column A. Which data to take and in what order?

Regards,

Arty

Arty

I am out of office until tonight.

Can I give you this info either later today or tomorrow?

Yes, I'll see your reply on weekend.

But please provide as much details as possible, because I'm unfamilar with your table structures and program logic :-)

So I'm waiting for more info, not necessary now. My local time is 2:12AM

Regards,

Arty

Arty,

Column A in the Door Matrix and Drawer Matrix worksheets is the code (or DoorStylePrimCode) field. The reason you don't see "foil" is that foil is a type or species. As an example, you will see the code Belleair which is a foil door name. If you scroll to the right, the only available species is foil.

Therefore, in the frmCustInfo, if you pick foil as the species in combo box Species1, I am trying to have the remaining combo boxes for DoorStylePrimCode, DoorStylePrimEdge, DoorStylePrimBead, and DoorStylePrimPanel to populate ONLY with the available foil doors (i.a., Abacoa, Belleair, Captiva,...) and associated Edge, Bead and Panel Raise.

Additionally, if you already have selected all the combo box info and now want to change it because say a customer wants to know the price of Cherry instead, then what I want is for the DoorStylePrimCode, DoorStylePrimEdge, DoorStylePrimBead, and DoorStylePrimPanelcombo boxes to repopulate with only the available choices for cherry.

I hope this make sense.

If you think it better to maybe use a site such as gotomeeting or dimdim where we can talk through this, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sorry for delay.

I'm resuming this thread, it should be no longer closed.

So, if I select 'Foil' in 'Species1' combo box, I should get the following PrimCodes (from Drawer Matrix, by searching selected Species in 'AS' column):

Abaco Shaker, Bahama Shaker, Bal Harbor, Bimini, Biscayne, Captiva, Daytona, Doral, Gulfstream, Hollywood, Key Largo, Las Olas, Marathon Shaker, Martinique, Montego, Naples Shaker, Nassau, Palm Beach, Pompano, ...

Next, how to popuate associated DoorStylePrimEdge, DoorStylePrimBead and DoorStylePrimPanel ? Suppose customer selects 'Key Largo'. Where to search next and what value to get to populate Edge, Bead and Panel?

Regards,

Arty

Arty,

Thanks for the reply.

When you select foil, the DoorStylePrimCode comes from the Door Matrix worksheet. The DrwrStylePrimCode comes from the Drawer Matrix worksheet.

Regarding Edge, Bead and Panel, in those same matrix worksheets, if you scroll left or right you will see column headings such as:

Edge 1, Edge 2....
Bead 1, Bead 2...
Panel 1, Panel 2...

As with the different "door codes", i.e., Abaco Shaker, Belleair, etc., the only available choices should be what is available for that particluar species/type. Currently, I did not enter any Edge, Bead or Panel yet for foil doors. If you want to make 1 up as say Edge Test 1, Bead Test 1, and Panel Test 1 and insert those into the appropriate cells on the Door Matrix and Drawer Matrix worksheets then you would be able to test the code. As an example, maybe use Edge Test 1 in the cell for Abaco, Edge Test 2 in the cell for Belleair, etc.

I hope this helps.

Thanks.
Arty,

The thread still is closed.

Are you working on this?