Programming

Programming questions? Ask a programmer for answers ASAP

I have a document with a lot of hyperlinks. The base doc w/

Customer Question
I have a document with...
I have a document with a lot of hyperlinks. The base doc w/ the hyperlinks and all the target hyperlink docs are in the same directory. I want to be able to zip up that directory and send it to others who are outside our firewall. The hyperlinks keep pointing the the physical drive on which they were made. Can't I make the hyperlinks dynamic so that when I send the entire zipped directory someone can extract it and the hyperlinks will work?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Programming
6/9/2010
Programmer: Pete, Computer Engineer replied 8 years ago
Pete, Computer Engineer

Hi there,

Yes it is possible to make your hyperlinks work when you send your document outside your firewall by making the hyperlinks relative. In MS Word, you can select Suggest relative file paths within the Hyperlink dialog box to make this work - see image below.

You will need to edit each hyperlink to change this setting.

graphic

I don't have that dialog box. I'm not sure how to send you a screen shot, but the dialog box does not have the option for "Suggest Relative Paths". I'm using Word 2007 on XP Professional.

In Word 2007, hyperlinks are usually set to Relative by default, therefore your documents should be linking ok when you send the entire directory outside the firewall. You can check this setting by doing the following:

• Click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click Word Options.
  • Click the Advanced.
  • Under General, click Web Options.
  • Click the Files tab.
  • Check that the Update links on save option is ticked
  • Click OK two times to exit
  •  

Your hyperlink address paths should not have any drive letters in them, for example they should appear similar to:

../../Documents/Example.docx

or

../Spreadsheet.xlsx

or

../../../../Document.pdf

If your hyperlink address appears as something similar to C:/My Documents/Example.docx then this is an absolute link and will not work when your directory is relocated.

Pete.

I have to move to a different computer. But I will try that.

The Update on Save option is checked, but maybe it wasn't on the computer that created the file.

If the file was created without the options checked, should they go to relative when the file is saved on a computer with the Update on Save option checked?

Yes, they should, but you would need to double-check the properties of a few of the links to be sure.
    I will do my final check tomorrow am. Then I can approve your answer. Thank you for your help.