Programming

Programming questions? Ask a programmer for answers ASAP

Three Microsoft Access (2007) questions 1. How can I save…

Customer Question
Three Microsoft Access (2007) questions: 1...
Three Microsoft Access (2007) questions:

1. How can I save a current Access Db as an entirely new and independent entity with a new name (not linked in any way to the original)?

2. I have data (archaeological site numbers) that look like this:

C:13:334
B:09:445
I:05:997

And so on for maybe 4000 cases ...

I want to add a zero to each site number after the second colon so the resulting site number is XXXXX C:13:0334 and so on ...

How do I do that?

3. How can I compare two or more Access tables (archaeological site number lists) to see if cases (particular sites) are in included in both or missing from one or another?

Thanks for considering my questions ...

Dr. Smiley
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Programming
6/9/2010
Programmer: NY Programmer, Engineer replied 8 years ago
NY Programmer
NY Programmer, Engineer

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

To address your questions:

1. The easiest way is to just copy the file using Windows Explorer and then name the copy whatever you want. Provided you have no linked tables in the database, then the copy is independent of the original. If you are looking to have this done automatically, I can write some code to do it.

2. Yes I could write some code to modify the numbers as you list.

3. There is a way to do that using queries to see if there are matching or missing records between tables.

If you can upload your database to www.wikisend.com and paste the download link it gives you here, I can take a look at doing #2 and #3 for you. If the database contains sensitive/confidential information, please let me know before you upload it. Thank you.

Q 1. So there is no way to create a new entity if you are working with a linked table?

Q 2. Sorry -- database is confidential -- I cannot share it on line. Isn't there just some editing "find and replace" function I can use? I just discovered that the "replace funtion" does not show because the db is locked.

Q 3. So they do not have a built-in Access procedutre to compare two tables?

Hello. If the database contains linked tables and you want a separate, isolated copy, then you would also need to copy all backend databases that have tables that are linked, and then relink the tables in your copy of the database to the copies of the backend databases.

#2 and #3 can be done in Access, but without the actual file it is difficult to answer the question, so I will opt out so that other experts can take a look. Thank you.