Programming

Programming Questions? Ask a Programmer for Answers ASAP

Programming

Lesson 10 1.Compare the advantages and disadvantages of process-based

Customer Question
Lesson 10 1.Compare the advantages...
Lesson 10
1.Compare the advantages and disadvantages of process-based DO/S.

2. Compare the advantages and disadvantages of object-based DO/S.

8.If you were managing a hospital's network, what policies would you implement to protect your system? Keep in mind that, as system manager, your job is to provide the correct level of accessibility to authorized users while denying access to unauthorized users.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Programming
6/23/2009
Programmer: Jacob, Computer Software Engineer replied 8 years ago
Jacob
Jacob, Computer Software Engineer

Process based DO/S
Network resources are managed as a large heterogeneous collection
Object-based DO/S
Clumps each type of hardware with its necessary operational software into discrete objects that are manipulated as a unit

Process Based DO/S Advantages and Disadvantages.

1. Provides for process management via client/server processes synchronized and linked together through messages & ports (channels or pipes)
2. Emphasizes processes and messages and how they provide basic features essential to process management
3. Processes can be managed from single OS copy, from multiple cooperating peers, or some combination of two
4. High level of cooperation and sharing of actions & data
5. Synchronization is a key issue in network process management
6. Interrupts represented as messages sent to proper process for service
7. All resources in process-based DO/S are controlled by servers called “guardians” or “administrators”, which are responsible for:
Accepting requests for service on the individual devices they control
Processing each request fairly
Providing service to the requestor, and returning to serve others
8. Many systems have clusters of resources
To control these clusters as a group, most process-based systems are configured around complex server processes
9. The administrator process is configured as a Device Manager and includes software needed to
Accept local and remote requests for service
Decipher their meaning, and act on them
A server process is made up of one or more device drivers, a Device Manager, and a network server component
10. Interprocess communication is transparent to users
11. Network Manager assumes full responsibility for:
Allocating ports to the processes
Identifying every process in the network
Controlling flow of messages
Guaranteeing transmission and acceptance of messages without errors
Routinely acts as interfacing mechanism for every process in the system
As traffic operator, it accepts and interprets each process’s commands to send and receive

Object Bases DO/S Advantages and Disadvantages

1. System is viewed as a collection of objects
Example: Hardware (CPUs, memory), software (files, programs), or a combination of the two
2. Objects are viewed as abstract entities
3. Objects have a set of unchanging properties
4. Process management becomes object management, with processes acting as discrete objects
5. Two components of process management:
Kernel level and process manager
6. Each device is managed the same way throughout the network
7. Physical device is considered an object, surrounded by a layer of software
8. Physical device is manipulated by a set of operations, that mobilize the device to perform its designated functions
8. Objects can be assembled to communicate and synchronize with each other
9. If local device manager can’t satisfy user’s request, the request is sent to another device manager
10. Users don’t need to know if the network’s resources are centralized or distributed
11. Device Manager object at each site needs to maintain a current directory of device objects at all sites
12. Network Manager object makes both intermode and intramode communications among cooperative objects easy
13. User doesn’t need to know the location of receiver
14. Only needs to know the receiver’s name
15. Provides the message’s proper routing to the receiver
16. A process can also invoke an operation that’s part of its local object environment
17. Network Manager services are usually provided at the kernel level

I am not sure of the hospital policy to implement....It is all up to your thinking...Do you want me to do it????? If you insist, I will.....
Thanks & Regards,
Jacob
What should I do next?
Press the ACCEPT button, if my answer is helpful
Leave me a POSITIVE FEEDBACK to help me improve my work
Give me a BONUS if you think my answer is awesome and you are very happy with the results.

Yes, if you could please.

Thak you,

Elke Johnson

Hi elke,
I am so sorry, for I didnt get any time to think about the architecture.....So I searched and , just see if this link is useful...
http://middleware.internet2.edu/idtrust/2008/slides/08-garson-e-hospital-architecture.ppt
Hope this answer helps you...
Thanks & Regards,
Jacob
What should I do next?
Jacob
Jacob
Jacob, Computer Software Engineer