Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

We have a Linsys AE1000 router (old, but works fine). I just…

We have a Linsys...

We have a Linsys AE1000 router (old, but works fine). I just read an article about hacked internet routers which recommends turning it off and then back on and upgrading the firmware. I’m in my 60’s so not sure how to do that. Do I just unplug it and replug? How do you upgrade the firmware?

Technician's Assistant: What device(s) are you connecting to your AE1000 network?

Two Dell tabletop computers, an Apple iPhone and iPad, and some Samsung devices (mobile phones, wireless headphones, and a watch-like thing my sone has)

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Linksys router or your Apple?

Nothing so far. I haven’t tried to unplug the router because I am not sure that is what I should do.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?

I think that is it.

6/7/2018
Richard, Network Specialist

Thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Do you know the current firmware you have installed on the router?

Please let me know

I have no idea. The router was purchased from CISCO and it is plugged in to the Dell computer (we still have a the box style that sits under the table with screen on top)

Are you connected to it right now?

I have it on now. We also get WiFi through FIOS so, I wonder what this Linsys device does since it is just plugged in to the on Dell computer and has a blue light with wi-fi symbol that is now flashing since I turned the Dell on. I do not want it to be a security threat.

ok, sounds like it does nothing...

Disconnect the power to it, do you still have internet?

Internet works fine on my Apple iPhone. Dell is doing some kind of scan . Ok husband’s ESPN thing just came on so looks like Dell internet is working.

ok, the Linksys is not used, and being very old I would advise not to use it, the latest firmware is still quite old for it and the FIOS is always automatically updates as opposed to how the Linksys worked.

But leave it unplugged as you do not actually use it

Is there anything else I can help with?

Now the Dell is saying that I am not connected. I had to plug the router back in to get it to work. Should we just get a new router?

No, we can update this one, are you talking to me on the dell now?

No, I am on my iPad which seems to work on the FIOS wi fi

ok, so there is no wifi being used for the linksys correct?

There must be something connected to this Dell computer, because when I unplug the Linksys router it says I am not connected. After I plugged the Linksys back in, it works. I don’t use e-mail on the old Dell computer, but husband uses it to watch sports games and news.

yes it is plugged buy cable but this is ok, there is no risk with this.

OK. That is what I wanted to know. So it just connects the FIOS cable wi-fi to this computer and we do not have to worry about it being hacked (generally speaking at least)?

correct, now I have confirmed your setup with you, this is the case as it is updated centrally

thank you for allowing me to help you today. My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen then submit before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Richard, Network Specialist