Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I screwed it up by trying to change the ssid and password.

Customer Question
I screwed it up...

I screwed it up by trying to change the ssid and password. Also, when I try to register it says my S/N is invalid. Is my device registered? Obviously the internet works, what doesn't is the 2.4& 5.0 xmiters. I there a way to do a factory reset and start from scratch?

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your Wi-Fi password?

I tried just a few minutes ago. I have no way of knowing if it took.

Technician's Assistant: Have you connected to this Wi-Fi network from a laptop or desktop (either Mac or PC) in the past?

No. Its new.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Networking
6/6/2018
Network Technician: Karthik, System Administrator replied 2 months ago
Karthik
Karthik, System Administrator

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Before we proceed further, I would like to ask you few question about this problem. Could you please tell me what is the make and model of the router?

netgear ac3200 mdl R700p
lets skip secure remote for now

The 2.4 GHz and 5GHz wireless frequencies are range and bandwidth. 5GHz provides faster data rates at a shorter distance, whereas 2.4GHz offers coverage for farther distances, but may perform at slower speeds.

can I do a factory reset to get back to the way it was ?

May I know whether you want to change your SSID(Wifi name) and WiFi password?

can you restore factory defaults for all?

Sure, before we do that may I know how this computer is connect to the network? Is it through same Netgear Wifi or any other hotspot?

it is connected thru the cable lan from the ac2300. wifi appears to be turned off.

You can return the router to its factory settings. Use the end of a paper clip or a similar object to press and hold the Reset button on the back of the router for at least seven seconds.

Note: If you do a reset on the router, you may lose the internet connection and you may not be able to communicate with me. In this case I have attached a link for User Guide Manual with complete setup instruction. Please download and follow the setups. http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R8000/R8000_UM_24July2014.pdf