Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

Unable to connect to WiFi. No it is a hotspot. Router

Unable to connect to...

Unable to connect to WiFi

Technician's Assistant: Are you able to connect using an ethernet cable?

No it is a hotspot

Technician's Assistant: Which lights are colored and/or blinking on your router?

Router connects to iPad without issue as well as other devices. It stopped connecting to hp pavilion all in one desktop after 5/24 patch cycle

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?

Light is green on router

6/4/2018
Richard, Network Specialist

Thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

What is the error you get when it fails to connect?

Please let me know

No wifi networks found. I’ve used troubleshoot this connection to reset wireless adapter

Can you give me the exact model of the computer please

Richard, Network Specialist
Problem with wireless adapter or access point
Device is HP pavilion all in one desktop-8GIM8SF
Running Windows 10
Also device number 22-a113w

ok, connect it via network cable so it has internet

Click this link

download.teamviewer.com/download/TeamViewerQS.exe

A program will start downloading to your computer (it does not open a webpage, but the file will start downloading to your computer).

Run the program and it shows you and ID and Password.

Give me the ID and Password ***** please so I can connect

Do not close the program but leave it open else I will not be able to connect

Thank you

I do not have a network cable to connect to the computer. This connects via Wi-Fi from a hotspot
It is the only network available

Do the following please

. Open Device Manager. (Win Key+R > type devmgmt.msc > OK)
2. Expand the Network adapters.
3. Right click on the Ethernet/Wireless Adapter and click Properties.
4. Click the Power Management tab.
5. Remove the check mark beside Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
6. Click OK.
7. Test.

Tell me if it can then connect

Followed steps, un checked box - same result- no connectivity

When did this problem start?

May 24 after Windows patch cycle

Please click on Start->type in CMD then right-click on Command Prompt and click on Run as administrator. Then type each of the command lines below, one line at a time, and press the Enter key each time:

netsh winsock reset

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /flushdns

netsh int ip reset netshlog.txt

Then restart the computer and check if it now can connect.

Let me know the results please

When I input cmd it gives me black screen with my name- but do not see run as administrator
When I type in the commands it says I need elevated administrator permissions

you have to right-click on Command Prompt and click on Run as administrator.

Got it
Restarting, standby
Same result- no Wi-Fi networks detected

ok, I want to do a system restore please.

To do this, close all programs.

Press the windows key (the one to the left of the left ALT key) + R and type in the run box that opens

rstrui

Press enter

Then follow the onscreen steps to choose a system restore and choose a date before this problem occurred.

Let it complete and tell me if it now functions correctly please

System restore did not complete successfully. Anti virus program is running on the computer. Temporarily disable antivirus program and retry system restore

Can you choose a different date and try again please

Proceeding. Stand by
Same error, different date

ok, we need to do a full reset of the computer, this will not touch your data but it is safe still to back it up anyway.

Programs you will need to reinstall again but this cannot be avoided.

To do this, click start, settings, update and security, then recovery

Once done, click on get started under Reset My PC

Let the reset complete and when done, tell me if it then functions please

thank you

I have completed backup and restore and it still did not fix the problem with connection issues

Thanks

It is the internal wifi adapter that has faulted.

A corrupted install can cause this. But we have ruled this out by reinstalling it.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the computer to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you