Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I have an airport extreme router with airport express

I have an airport...

I have an airport extreme router with airport express extenders in the house. They work OK But I need to add coverage around a pool about 150 feet from the house, part of which is behind an outdoor brick garage. Present extenders, including a plug in airport express in the garage do not provide sufficient coverage around the pool, and part of the pool patio is below grade as well further limiting existing outdoor coverage. I need a strong extender or some other system to give me strong coverage 150-160 feet from house and behind the detached garage. Any recommendations? I did see that the Netgear Orbi 50 system was recommended by some. Thanks.

Technician's Assistant: What's the model of your NETGEAR router?

I do not have one. I have an Apple extreme router

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far?

I have tried an apple express extender in garage but it does not really work well.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?

No, thanks. I think I have provided everything.

5/29/2018
Russell H., Internet and LAN

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your networking question.

Where the subject of getting more coverage area is concerned, you need to primarily pay attention to two things:

1. the higher a router (or range extender) is mounted, the better it can cover the area. This is why a router is best put in a top floor, rather than in a basement, which is the worst possible placement.

and 2. propagation of signals is all-important... a large signal obstacle like a wall with metal studding inside it, will block signal propagation from router or extender.

So I think you might need a mounted-up-high, possibly thus a weatherproof, range extender, for the pool area. If it is mounted high enough, it can cover 'down into' the pool patio area, which you say is below grade.

So I think a weatherproof range extender might be needed, unless there is a place to mount it up high that is not exposed to weather nor variations in temperatures to any degree.

- If this answers your question, please rate my answer using the five-star interface at the top of the JustAnswer question page .... A five-star rating would be appreciated! Thank you.

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Russell H., Internet and LAN