Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

Replacing my old Asus RT-AC68U with an Asus RT-AC3200, a…

Customer Question
Replacing my old Asus RT-AC68U...
Replacing my old Asus RT-AC68U with an Asus RT-AC3200, a triband router, and programing the Gui, I keep finding that despite giving my new router (like before with the old one) an IP address of 20.73.74.1, (with a subnet mask of 255.0.0.0 ) and assigning my computer a static address of 20.73.74.6, and setting the IP Pool starting address as 20.73.74.12 going to 20.73.74.254, I found...I lost connection temporarily, after a while, and when it restored itself, the IP starting range changed to 20.0.0.2 and to end at 20.255.255.254 in the Asus software.The fixed IP's of my iPad and iPhone are okay...they stayed as designated and remained connected, but not my computer. Now that it has decided on it's own numbers, this computer again has internet access and is allowing me to contact you.What's going on with this new router?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Networking
My O.S. is windows 10 pro, with all updates present
I'm thinking there is a defect in this new unit I just got, although the fact that the iPhone and iPad has maintained connectivity, makes me doubt it.
It's just the software self -expanding itself in the iP Pool starting and ending is what is baffling.
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/28/2018
Network Technician: Byron, PC Support Tech replied 2 months ago
Byron
Byron, PC Support Tech

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist.

A subnet mask of 255.0.0.0 give you a pool of 16,581,375 IP addresses.

Where are you getting the 20.73.74.1 address from?

Is this a fixed IP address you got from your service provider?

The starting IP address I assigned my router was picked at random, but with the idea to be off the "beaten Path" and to not respond to any hacker. I then assigned the other devices by changing the last group with a number from 2 -11. I then set 20.73.74.12 then through 20.73.74.254 to be the range of ip addresses.
This concept I pickedup from reading about class A IP addresses.
That is also why I picked a subnet mask of 255.0.0.0 as using 255.255.255.0 is somewhere in the range of only 16,000 or so as I remember from the article about a year ago.
Still, the IP shouldn't change within the router from what I (repeatedly) changed back to what I wanted.
It's a fixed IP address within my home network. The router takes what ever IP address my ISP's modem has and allows me to use static addresses within my home. I've done this for years, but this new router I've had for a few days keeps changing things on its own despite being the same software I'm used to with the previous RT-AC68U versus this new RT-AC3200 triband router

Is there some reason you aren't using addresses in the 192.168.x.x range for internal addressing.

Or using 10.x.x.x addresses?

This is what should be used internally:

24-bit block10.0.0.0 – 10.255.255.255

20-bit block172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255

16-bit block192.168.0.0 – 192.168.255.255

I have accumulated a series of articles in my Pocket program about the different classes over the last year. Are you saying what I have been using for the last few years won't work???? It isn't working on my new router, which I got only because my old one, the Asus RT-AC68U stopped working, was 4 years old, and Asus wanted $140 or so to repair it.

The problem is that the address range 20.x.x.x is in the public IP address range.

Somebody, likely a very large company, already owns that address range.

The address ranges I posted above are non-routable over the internet.

Your router performs network address translation so that your devices connected to your private

network have a gateway to the internet.

Set the routers internal IP address to 192.168.1.1 and set the pool to 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254

and set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0

This will give you 252 available IP addresses in that range.