Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

How do I find if the PC has a firewall that's preventing…

How do I find...

How do I find if the PC has a firewall that's preventing connecting to my Comcast network? Thanks.

Technician's Assistant: What device or product does this involve?

Acer M5-583P-6428

Technician's Assistant: How long have you had your M5-583P-6428?

3 -4 years, just recently switched to Comcast and can't reach any servers. The network is shown as very good.

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Acer product?

I've chatted with the xFinity help, they synchronized the modem and that didn't help. The network diagnostic in Control Panel said the computer couldn't automatically find the Proxy for the network or perhaps there's a firewall preventing connection.

Technician's Assistant: What's the model of your XFinity router?

SN 7C22WZ6DDC01554 Dual Band Wi-Fi 802.11 ac

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far?

Just what I noted above.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?

That's all I know at this point.

4/25/2018
Joshua Gransbury
Joshua Gransbury, Computer Support Specialist

good morning and welcome to Just Answer. My name is Josh. So you say that you are able to connect to the network just not to the internet correct?

That seems to be the case.
This PC is not the problem. I'm obviously fully connected to the internet on this one. How can you connect to the one - the Acer - having the problem?

If you right click on the wifi symbol in the bottom right of your screen and click open network and sharing settings. Once that is open scroll down till you see network and sharing center and click on that. Then when that window opens click on where it says connections and lists your wifi connection. When that next window opens lick on properties. Then double click on internet protocol version 4. Check to verify that both of these have selected to obtain IP address automatically and the other has obtain DNS servers automatically.

As far as connecting to that machine it will be hard to connect to if you are not able to have it connected to the network.

Since connecting to any server/the internet is the problem, I don't want any additonal help that requires that! I'm signing off.
Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., System Administrator

Hello Sir/Madam. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Can I remote onto your Machine and have a look at your problem?

Richard, Network Specialist

Hi there

Do you still need assistance with this?

Please let me know

Richard, Network Specialist

Thank you

Please note, these instructions are done on a computer

Click this link

download.teamviewer.com/download/TeamViewerQS.exe

A program will start downloading to your computer (it does not open a webpage, but the file will start downloading to your computer).

Run the program and it shows you and ID and Password.

Give me the ID and Password ***** please so I can connect

Do not close the program but leave it open else I will not be able to connect

Thank you