Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I have a pfSense firewall between my Hopper3 and my ISP,

I have a pfSense...

I have a pfSense firewall between my Hopper3 and my ISP, Optical Network Terminal (1 Gbps up & down fiber service). When the system was installed at the end of last month, I passed all traffic outbound for a while and noted the TCP and UDP ports that were used by the Hopper. I opened those ports for outbound traffic from the Hopper and the Joeys. Until late last week everything was working fine. On Demand content could be selected from the Hopper or the Joeys from the guide (for instance Ch 136, FX On Demand). Since last Friday or Saturday, it no longer works, I get an 145 error code and in the message it says Specific Error Code: 76 Error Message: OD Timeout. The text says that is unable to connect to the server, try again later. My firewall has UpNp disabled and out traffic traffic is limited to ports that I have opened. Based on the State info with all traffic allowed I opened TCP ports 443, 3490, 8080, 8443 and UDP ports 5351, 10102.

Technician's Assistant: Who makes your router, and what device(s) are you connecting to it?

The router is a Supermicro E200-9B Server running pfSense software. I built the system myself. I have a desktop computer, my wife's laptop, my work laptop, two Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablets, our two android smart phones, the Hopper and two Blu-Ray players connected to the network. (There might be another device or two that I'm forgetting at the moment). Only the Hopper that a connectivity issue.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?

I suspect that something changed as far as ports required for connectivity between the Hopper and the On Demand servers late last week and that I need to forward a port or add additional open outbound ports to resolve the issue. If I pass all outbound traffic unrestricted, the On Demand works properly, but I have a firewall because I don't thinks that's a secure configuration. I also tried enabling UpNp, to see if it could establish the proper setup on its own and that didn't work either.

4/17/2018
Jeremy K
Jeremy K, Digital Educator and Network Engineer

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

Way to run pfSense - it's a terrific homebrew setup. Do you have NAT setup for outbound traffic on that pfSense server?

there is NAT on the outbound traffic. Right now the Hopper is working correctly, but I had to modify my firewall rules to allow TCP & UDP outbound from the Hopper on any port. I should be able to progressively tighten up the allowed ports until I figure out which ports are actually required. Dish could not accurately tell me which ports their system actually requires. I'm not quite sure why I'm not seeing additional ports in the firewall state for the Hopper IP Address. I originally allowed outbound on all the ports that I could see in use and that worked until last weekend.
I'm at work now, not at home.

No problem - we can talk through the logistics of the problem and follow-up later once you're home.

OK, I just come back to this link then?

To clarify, traffic for these ondemand services (not just dish) will work with ports dynamically, so the connection gets established by an outbound connection from your PC (through the firewall) and they may reconfigure from time to time - exactly the issue you've detected and diagnosed. However, a NAT automatic setting on your firewall should allow new connections to be set up on an as needed basis - this is the purpose of NAT - so you shouldn't need to open up ports. It's the same for email etc. You should only need to open ports on your firewall if you're planning on running a server locally, i.e. for inbound traffic from outside which can't be anticipated by a NAT rule.

I explain all this to suggest that you may not have NAT set up properly if you've been needing to open up ports for services that you're accessing from your PCs within the LAN.

And yep - just come back to this link and we can continue the conversation. I'm on UK time zone, so would be helpful if you give me a wee heads-up so I can make sure to be around so we can pick up the chat. :)

I am on Pacific Time (America/Los Angeles), 9 hours behind you (assuming you're also on summer time). The firewall is currently set to the pfSense default, automatic generation of outbound NAT rules.

Ok, so definitely not Advanced Outbound NAT?

Two things to consider when you're back at your router - are you using multiple interfaces on that supermicro server? NAT can fall over a bit if there are more than just a single eth in and single eth out, so it may be a matter of making sure Automatic NAT is bound to all interfaces. Details here: https://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/Outbound_NAT. Struggles with NAT seem to be one of the main issues with pfSense, so you're definitely not alone on this. Also worth noting (from the documentation - and relevant to your situation):

"For static IP configurations, an interface is considered a WAN by the presence of a gateway on the interface's settings, e.g. Interfaces > OPT1. Having a gateway defined under System > Routing is not enough, it must also be selected on the interface configuration or it will not be considered a WAN for NAT or other purposes."

Sounds good re: time zones. So shall we plan to regroup in 8 hours or so?

Jeremy K