Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

Lights on front of router flashing wildly. No internet at…

Customer Question
Lights on front of...

Lights on front of router flashing wildly. No internet at devices. Modem already reset.

Technician's Assistant: Are you able to connect using an ethernet cable?

Haven’t tried but trouble shooting cable modem shows connection.

Technician's Assistant: Which lights are colored and/or blinking on your router?

All are green and blinking.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?

No. But I have connection through Ethernet.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Networking
4/3/2018
Network Technician: Syseng, Computer Systems Engineer replied 3 months ago
Syseng
Syseng, Computer Systems Engineer

My name is David.

The issue you describe sounds like a possible broadcast storm on your network that floods the router with more traffic than it is designed to handle.

So first, disconnect all devices, both wireless and cabled, from the router.

Next power down the router and unplug the power cord and wait 5 minutes.

Plug the router power cord back in and power up the router.

Confirm that the lights on the router are on but not blinking like they were earlier.

Connect one device to the router and test to see if it can connect to the Internet. If the router lights start blinking wildly like they were before, disconnect that device from the router and connect another device to the router and test to see if the device can connect to the Internet.

Plug each device one at a time into the router until either the device causing the problem is identified, or all devices are connected and the issue is no longer occurring.

Please let me know the result.

With no devices connected, lights are still flashing wildly.

What is the exact make and model of the router?

Linksys WRT54GL

Ok then I recommend a reset which will hopefully return the router back to default settings after which some configuration would be needed to setup the router again with your previous settings.

To do that do the following:

Press the reset button on the back of the router for 30 seconds using a thin object such as a paper clip.

In your web browser enter 192.168.1.1 in the address bar.

When prompted to login, leave the ID blank and enter admin as the password.

Note that you may have to restart your computer first while connected to the router after the reset in order to login to the router.

Thanks for your help. I solved the problem. It turned out to be a failed power source.

Very good and glad you were able to identify the issue.

You may want to consider using a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) or power filter to protect the router in the future as in most cases power supplies fail due to power anomalies such as line surges and line drops that can damage the router as well.

Best regards,

David.