Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I would like to change my IP address on my laptop. I run…

Customer Question
Hello,I would like to change...
Hello,I would like to change my IP address on my laptop. I run Windows 8.1 and the home router is a Netgear N300.When i tried it myself, i lost internet connection and had to run a diagnostic which reset it back to the original IP address.I am assuming that i missed some steps, and i am not sure what to put for subnet mask, default gateway, and for preferred dns server and alternate server.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Networking
4/3/2018
Network Technician: Eric Ewing, IT Pro replied 3 months ago
Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing, IT Pro
Experience: I am a technology professional with 20 years experience, and hold 15 industry certifications (from hardware/software repair to mobility to IT Security, and everything in-between!).

Hi! I'm Eric, a networking pro who's been paired with you through JustAnswer.com. I'm reviewing your question now, and will return w/ an answer soon!

Good evening! If you could share with me your goal (why you're wanting to change your IP address), I can recommend the best way to do it and help walk you through it.

ok thanks. for privacy issue, overcome attacks, and avoid online bans or to bypass country location restrictions that some sites impose on their video content when traveling overseas

Gotcha! I don't think changing the IP address is going to do what you want. If we change it, the change would be effective in your home only; you would need to manually change it for every single network you connect to.

I believe you'd be better served by proxying your traffic. Are you familiar with proxies?

If you'd still prefer to go ahead with the IP change, let me know and we'll walk through that.

Ok thanks. What do you mean when you said that i would have to manually change it for every single network? like every time i travel to a new location i would have to change my ip adress?
Also, i do use NordVPN. I tried register for gaming site but it the ip address was blocked even when using nordvpn.
Id like to at least have the knowledge to be able to change an ip address.
Lets go ahead with the ip change. Also im not familiar with proxies.Thanks

I just received your replies on the way to work. Please allow me just a bit and I will, respond with the info you requested!

Okay, networking stuff can be a little complicated, so let me first break down what everything is and what it does:

WAN (Wide Area Network): This is a network that spans physical locations, and allows smaller, private networks to talk to one another. The Internet is an example of a WAN.

LAN (Local Area Network): This is the most common type of network for a home or business. This network allows all devices in a specific location to talk to one another, but won't allow outside devices to communicate (for instance, your neighbor can't print to your wireless printer unless he's part of your LAN).

Public IP address: Assigned by your internet service provider, this address identifies you on the Internet.

Private IP address: Identifies a specific device on a LAN. Most folks still use IP version 4, which consists of 4 blocks of octets to identify devices; this looks (as an example) like: 10.0.1.145. The first block indicates private network (LAN) addressing, and must be either 10, 172, or 192. The other three octets are usable (with limitations) for address assignment on the local network.

Subnet: This identifies how many addresses within each IP octet will be used for assignment. Most home networks use an subnet of 255.255.255.0, which means only the last octet will be used for assignment (giving you a theoretical 256 addresses/device capacity). So, if our LAN's IP block starts with 10.0.0.X, with a subnet of 255.255.255.0, devices attached to that LAN will receive addresses of 10.0.0.1-255.

Gateway: This is, essentially, the IP address of your router. You can give the router any IP address within your block that you want to, but most folks give it "1" to keep it simple (such as 10.0.0.1). Whatever IP address you give your router, your Gateway address is the same.

DNS server (and alternate): DNS servers are specialized computers out on the internet whose sole purpose is to convert URL's (web addresses) to the IP address of the server it's hosted on. Without them, you couldn't type "espn.com" into your web browser and get anywhere...you'd have to know ESPN's IP address. Your internet service provider gives you their DNS servers by default, but others exist; for instance, Google provides it own DNS servers at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. You can use any available DNS you want.

By default, most routers will be programmed to provide all of your computers, printers, phones, etc., with IP addresses automatically (this is called Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol, or DHCP). This makes things easier, otherwise you'd have to specify all of the above settings (IP, subnet, gateway, DNS) every single time you switched networks -- such as when you leave to go to a coffee shop, and then again when you get home. Your home network settings will not work elsewhere (unless someone else's network is configured EXACTLY like yours), and vice-versa. You CAN override this and set your network configuration manually on a particular device. This link will show you how: https://portforward.com/networking/static-ip-windows-10.htm

Note that once you've specified an IP address manually, your device will only work on the network it is configured for. If you travel, the device will need reconfigured for EACH network you connect to. This is easier said than done, as it means you'd need to know the IP addressing scheme, subnet, and gateway for each of those networks...which is something staff at most hotels, for instance, either won't know or won't tell you.

All of that said, the above will not accomplish what you're looking to do. As far as online bans/country restrictions/etc., sites won't be examining your private IP address at all...they'll be looking at your public IP address, which is controllable by the internet service provider and not editable by you. Instead, you'd want to use a proxy (a service which acts as an intermediary to connect you to the internet with a different PUBLIC IP address).

In essence, proxies work like this: you use your internet connect to connect to the proxy, and then all of your internet requests get routed through that service. Proxies can be changed on a whim, so that you appear to be connecting from different cities, states, or even countries each time you get online (and with a different public IP address each time). The pro of this is preserving your anonymity; the major con is that is can slow down your connectivity, since everything you do online gets routed first through a third party.

There are TONS of proxy services out there, and they work in different ways. Here's a link to get you started: https://www.alltechbuzz.net/top-best-free-proxy-sites-servers-2016/

You had mentioned trying out a VPN, which wouldn't help you at all for what you're looking to do. A VPN (Virtual Private Network) lets you mimic a LAN connection over a WAN; for instance, you could connect to your work computer from home as if it were on the same network, but no one else could see either of your computers. These would not, though, mask or anonymize you in any way.

Hope that helps! If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Hello! Just quickly checking back in to make sure your issue is now resolved? When you have the chance, would you kindly let me know? Thanks so much for using JustAnswer.com!