Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

Me and my son are just trying to get onto the Wifi but it…

Customer Question
Me and my son...

Me and my son are just trying to get onto the Wifi but it keeps rejecting us when we are trying to connect.

Technician's Assistant: Are you able to connect using an ethernet cable?

No ma’am

Technician's Assistant: Which lights are colored and/or blinking on your router?

All light are on but the connection light (Ac750)

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?

Why are there two forms of Wifi, as in the normal name and then there is the 5G

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Networking
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/2/2018
Network Technician: Steve Asher, Certified Networking Engineer replied 3 months ago
Steve Asher
Steve Asher, Certified Networking Engineer

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.

To start off with I'll answer your question Wifi router either broadcast on 2.4 Ghz of 5 Ghz.

The protocols 802.11b/g/n all broadcast on 2.4 Ghz

The protocols 802.11 a/n/ac and newer ones broadcast on 5 Ghz.

The 2.4 Ghz channels transmit farther than the 5Ghz but are only capable of a fraction of the speeds.

Not all devices can connect to either one. Some devices will only connect to the 2.4 Ghz.

If you have the option, you should try to connect to the 5 Ghz.

Now on to the rest of your issue.

First off what are you trying to connect to the wifi?

Is it giving you any reason for the rejection?

Are you 100% sure that you have the PSK (password) correct?

Network Technician: Syseng, Computer Systems Engineer replied 3 months ago
Syseng
Syseng, Computer Systems Engineer

My name is David.

Do you still need assistance?