Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I am having issues with my routers. I bought 2 new linksys…

i am having issues with...
i am having issues with my routers. I bought 2 new linksys routers to add to my router access point, now one of them i did the bridge connection because i didn't manage for the router to get a connection... the other one i just plugged in in one of the ports and it seemed to work fine. The thing is, i have 3 other routers that all serve as access point... so my issues is that i loose connection time to time with one of the routers.. i guess its due because of the connection i have at this moment.. but now should my new router that i connected easlly also be under bridge connection? and how do i access each router specifically, because when i put the ip, i get the main one.. is there a way to access each router?
3/31/2018
Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing, IT Pro
Experience: I am a technology professional with 20 years experience, and hold 15 industry certifications (from hardware/software repair to mobility to IT Security, and everything in-between!).

Hi! I'm Eric, a networking pro who's been paired with you through JustAnswer.com. I'm reviewing your question now, and will return w/ an answer soon!

Yes, you'll want to have both of your new routers bridged...otherwise, the new one that currently isn't will cause devices to be double-NAT'd (NAT is Network Address Translation) which would impede their ability to access the internet.

how to connect to that specific router? can i access it with ip from my computer or do i have to go and connect a laptop on the port?

If you assigned it a specific IP address, you can access the router's configuration page by typing the address into a web browser on your computer. Otherwise, directly connecting to a laptop would be the surest way to go.

ok let me try it out...

Absolutely! Let me know how it goes!

ok.. i see that that specific router is on ip 192.168.1.109... why can i not connect to it? or access it...
noooo my bad... i think that what i am.... not the router.. hahahahha

Is it still plugged into the other router? The double-NAT may be blocking access...

yea cus the default say 192.168.1.1.... its like you said i have to specify a ip address to that router... how do i do that? it does not have to be static right?

It can be static, or you can configure a DHCP reservation on whichever router you want to be "primary." Static may be easier...perhaps just set your primary router to 192.168.0.1, secondary to 192.168.0.2, and tertiary to 192.168.0.3. Then, you can start your DCHP range at something like 192.168.0.5 to make sure no assigned addresses will interfere with your infrastructure.

If you'd prefer to go the reserved address route, here's a link describing how to configure it on your Linksys equipment: https://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=135673

i do that on the main one? because the main one is a TP link.... and then a switch... and from there i have the 2 routers.. and 1 of those routers send a bridge too 2 others... its bit of a mess hahahahaha....

Gotcha! You should be doing this on whichever device is setup as your DHCP server and is providing network address translation. If I'm picturing your setup correctly, it should look something like this assuming you want all connected devices to be able to talk to each other:

TPLink router --> primary device. Internet comes into this device. It should be setup as your DHCP server and should be used to configure all other devices.

Switch --> This is a "dumb" device. Nothing special needed here.

Routers #1-4 --> Should be in "bridge" mode with either a static IP configured on this device, or a DHCP reservation configured on the TPLink for them. All should be configured for the same SSID (wireless network name) with the same security key. Any routers NOT in bridge mode could break connectivity by double-NATing your addresses.

ok...
can you help me with something else? do you do cameras system? foscam?

I'm afraid I don't, but I can free up the question for another expert who might know more.

ok thanks
hongkongpom
hongkongpom, Computer Support Specialist

Hello sorry but you will need to open another question for your camera system question.
This question is about your routers. Sorry but you cannot ask another question.

The other Expert has opted out so that I will clarify a couple of things.

Each of the secondary routers should be assigned a unique IP address so that you can access any of them across your network. It is easier to set this up in each router than do a DHCP reservation in your primary device
Each router should be in bridge mode. This way all IP addresses are handled by the TP link primary device.

Change the IP address before you change the routers to bridge mode otherwise you could lose communication to the routers if they are on a different network than the primary router.

You will only be using the LAN ports to connect everything up. On the secondary routers, nothing should be plugged into the WAN ports.

Please rate my service with at least 3 stars if I have helped you today.

hongkongpom