Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I am interested in a smart lock from my home's exterior door…

Customer Question
I am interested in a...
I am interested in a smart lock from my home's exterior door that has Bluetooth functionality and an app. It turns out that the app only works when the device and the lock are in Bluetooth range. Apparently there needs to be a bridge to connect the Bluetooth lock to Wifi so that I can truly have access to the lock from anywhere at anytime.So my Q is what is Bluetooth to Wifi bridge? Can you recommend a specific one? Is there a difference between Bluetooth and Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE)?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Networking
3/30/2018
Network Technician: Eric Ewing, IT Pro replied 3 months ago
Eric Ewing
Eric Ewing, IT Pro
Experience: I am a technology professional with 20 years experience, and hold 15 industry certifications (from hardware/software repair to mobility to IT Security, and everything in-between!).

Hi! I'm Eric, a networking pro who's been paired with you through JustAnswer.com. I'm reviewing your question now, and will return w/ an answer soon!

These bridges are typically manufacturer-specific; that is, a Quikset Kevo smart lock would require the Quikset Wifi Bridge, and so on. Which smart lock were you looking into?

The locks I'm interested in are by Turbolock. I'm not sure why, their users manual is poorly written, the app is counter-intuitive and customer support is even worse. But the locks themselves sort of go with my decor more than others. Turbolock does not have a bridge on offer. I am wondering how generic is the idea of bridging from Bluetooth to wifi.
Network Technician: Josh, Helpdesk replied 3 months ago
Josh, Helpdesk

Hello:

I'm so very sorry it took so long for someone to offer assistance to you. My name is ***** ***** I've just come online and saw your question waiting. Before we start, can you please confirm if you still need assistance with your question? Thank you!

Maybe. I am looking for a Bluetooth to Wifi bridge. And I would like to know if there is a difference between Bluetooth and Bluetooth Low Energy?

Have you considered a different lock system?

I have used the Kwikset Smart Lock and you can unlock it from anywhere (and do not need to be without range of it)

Is that the Kēvo?

No, the Premis.

Take a look here: https://www.kwikset.com/premis