Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I have a new smart tv and have subscribed to Netflix but it…

I have a new...

I have a new smart tv and have subscribed to Netflix but it still tells me that my tv is not connected to wifi

Technician's Assistant: Are you able to connect using an ethernet cable?

How do I do that?

Technician's Assistant: The Network Technician will be able to walk you through that. Which lights are colored and/or blinking on your router?

Ethernet light is green. Wireless light is green and blinking occasionally. WAN light is green and internet light is green and blinking occasionally

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?

No, all seems normal with the modem

3/30/2018
Steve Asher
Steve Asher, Certified Networking Engineer

The first thing you need to do is go into the settings and verify that there is a connection to your wi-fi.

Is that settings on the tv?

Yes. It will be in the setup of your tv. Probably under a heading of Network.

Looked and it is on wireless but still no joy

There is generally a button to push to test the connection. Try that and let me know what it says. If it doesn't have that option, delete the connection and re-create it.

No matter what I do I just can’t connect. What do you do if you have access to my computer ?
Remote access probably won't be of any use. When you try to connect to your Wi-Fi, can you see the name of your Wi-Fi network? Are you getting any errors or is it just failing to connect? Do you know if your router is broadcasting at 2.4 ghz and or 5 ghz?
No. I don’t know. I did find where to put my Telstra code in but it didn’t work. What would you suggest I do?
If you can't see your Wi-Fi network listed you are either too far away from your router or it's broadcasting on a band your tv doesn't support. If you give me the make and model numbers of your tv and your router I will see what u can find.
Thanks Steve. Will do so tomorrow

Ok, I'll be waiting to hear from you.

Steve Asher
Thanks Steve. Yes I have finished with my questions. Thank you

Glad you got things worked out. Enjoy the rest of your evening