Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

Just a quick question. Have a Netgear N450 Modem-Router. I…

Just a quick question...

Just a quick question. Have a Netgear N450 Modem-Router. I plan on putting in an Orbo AC3000 system. I believe I simply need to disable the router function of the N450 for the Orbi to work correctly? Lastly, the ethernet ports of the N45o still work when WIFI is disabled on that unit. Thanks.

Technician's Assistant: What device(s) are you connecting to your N450 network?

Desktop PC, VOIP Phone, and ATT Microcell via ethernet. Laptop, 2 cell phones, 2 tablets, and (occasionally) 4 ROKU devices via WIFI.

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your NETGEAR router?

Right now I have the router and two Netgear extenders in the house, but getting marginal WIFI. Thats why I am looking atthe Orbi.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?

No, I think that is it. Hoping the Orbi will be the answer to my IFI connectivity issue at rear of house (MBR and Bonus room upstairs).

3/28/2018
Sheri
Sheri, Certified Networking Engineer

Thanks for using JustAnswer. I am happy to assist you with this issue.

If you want Orbi to do its work (provide wifi signal across your house or location), but you want your Netgear modem/router to still control the network, then you want to disable wifi on your Netgear router and set the Orbi to AP mode. Then pair your wireless devices with your Orbi and you're set.

Doing it this way will allow any device on your network, wired or wireless, to communicate easily. If you leave the Orbi in router mode (default mode), you'll have segmented your network into Netgear router network and Orbi network, which you probably don't want.

Also, yes, the ethernet ports will continue to work.

Please reply and let me know if that works for you or if you have any questions. Then we can go to the next step if needed.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

Sheri
Sheri, Certified Networking Engineer
Thanks Sheri. I am not sure I completely understand. I plan to just use the N450 as the cable-modem and (I thought) the Orbi as the wifi router. So not sure I understand the the response. I assumed that if wifi is disabled on the N450, then there is no router other than the Orbi. Does the 2nd part of the response apply if keeping the N450 in a cable-modem/router mode?
Is this follow up question answered, or do I need to do something else?

You have choices. If you wish to just use the orbi as the router, then you will need to put the Netgear in bridge mode. This turns off it's wifi, NAT (which is firewall and routing) and DHCP (which is giving out addresses). It would basically turn the Netgear into a "dumb" modem instead of a router. Then the Orbi could take over all functions. The thing you don't want to do is have both acting as routers.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

To add to that last reply, if you bridge the Netgear router, use the Orbi in router mode.

Thanks. So between disabling wifi on the N450 (via button?) and setting the Orbi to AP mode, or the N450 in bridge mode described above, which do you recommend? I assume Orbi coverage would be the same regardless? Thanks - final question.

Yes, the coverage would be the same. The way I run my network, I have the first router in bridge mode (your Netgear) and then I use the one with more powerful wifi to do everything (your Orbi) in router mode.

You would have to go into the management interface of the netgear to make this change. Usually you can just type the ip address into a browser and log in.

• By default, the Netgear N450 address to type in a browser is 192.168.0.1 (This may be different if it was changed on your network.)
  • The default login is username=admin and password=password (unless you changed it)

if that doesn't work, to find out the ip address, if this is windows, go to the search and type command and then in the command windows type ipconfig and press enter. In the list, look at the Gateway and then type the gateway address into a browser and it should bring up the log in page.

Below is a link to the setup guide for your router:

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/CG3000DV2/N450_CG3000Dv2_UM_03Apr2014.pdf

You would need to configure the Orbi before putting the Netgear in bridge mode.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

Thanks. How do I put the N450 into bridge mode? Manual does not address this. I have seen some stuff on the web that thee is no real bridge mode on the N450. My guess would be to (on Advanced Tab): 1. Deselct Enable SSID on the Wireless Setup Tab. 2. Deselect Use as DHCP on the LAN Setup Tab. 3. Should NAT be turned off as well? Thanks.

Yes, if there i no bridge mode. you would turn off NAT, DHCP and Wifi. Also, once you turn off those features of your router, you may not be able to get back into it the same way. You may also want to consider buying a regular modem instead of using the netgear and turning off some features. If you do, check with your Internet provider to find out which are on their approved list.

Thanks - sounds like a plan. Out here and thanks for your patience with my "know enough to be dangerous" expertise. Out here.

You're very welcome.