Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

Surface is not picking up any wifi signal

....
surface is not picking up any wifi signal .
3/26/2018
Suhasini Velu

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. Sorry for the delayed response I just now saw your question.

Do you still need assistance with this?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I have done reboot of modem and Surface. I have done reset (Windows 10). There is no Wifi signal being received. My plans were to reinstall the wifi driver but I could not find it. When I look under "about" my unit says "surface" I see drivers for Surface 2, Surface Pro and Surface Book but not mine.

Okay then, let me open it for other experts.

Richard, Network Specialist

Hi there Bill and welcome

How did you do the reset of windows?

Please let me know

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
It is an option under settings on Windows 10.

ok, then that is the full reset which means the wifi drivers are installed so this is not causing the problem, it is something else.

When you go to look at available wifi networks, what exactly do you see there?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
No wifi networks found

ok, are other devices connecting there to the wifi network?

What is the make and model of the wifi router?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Motorola NVG
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Motorola NVG510

Thanks

On the back of it is a reset button, push and hold it in for 5 seconds then release.

wait 5 minutes, restart the surface and tell e if it then shows wifi networks please

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I will do this again but I have no wifi at several other locations I have tried.

Thank you, ***** ***** to be sure

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Same thing.

ok, disconnect the power cable then hold the power button for 60 seconds then release.

Then connect the power cable, power it on and tell me if it now sees the wifi network please

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Same thing. No Wife networks found.

Thanks

It is the internal wifi adapter that has faulted, this now confirms it

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the surface to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Is this somethi

Your message was cut out, I only see

Is this somethi

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Is this something that I could replace?

You could but you would need to replace the motherboard and this is not an easy task, unless you have experience disassembling tablets it would be something I would not advise on

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I took it to Best Buy and they got me going for less than $50.00.

Then you would have purchased an adapter or you did not reset the surface as indicated to me.

I cannot see that from here, they can

Richard, Network Specialist
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
USB Wifi fixed the problem. You were correct about the problem but I would have liked for you to have mentioned the lower cost solution.
Richard, Network Specialist