Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I have a Linksys EA6100 router and my Avast Virus software…

Customer Question
I have a Linksys...

I have a Linksys EA6100 router and my Avast Virus software is telling me that I need a firmware upgrade for for myfirmware

Technician's Assistant: What Operating System (OS) are you running on your computer or device?

Windows 7 10 and a macboook pro.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update your Avast software?

Recently.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Software Expert to know before I connect you?

The signal range has slowed and reception drops.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Networking
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/22/2018
Network Technician: Jason Jones, Network Technician replied 3 months ago
Jason Jones, Network Technician

My name is***** will be the person helping you today.

What exactly is telling you that you need a firmware upgrade for the router? I ask because routers and antivirus programs do not normally tell you such things.

Also, may I ask how old your router is?

My router is less than a year old. Avast is a virus program and has other programs to help against attacks by ransomware.

I know what Avast is. Thank you.

The last update in firmware for that router was released in July of last year.

If you install the firmware incorrectly, it may cause damage to the router and kick you off the Internet.

May I remotely connect to your computer, so I can troubleshoot and fix this issue for you?

If you wish, you can download the firmware from this website: https://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=148444

After you download it, you may log into the router, click Advanced > Backup > Firmware and update the firmware with the file that you downloaded from above.

Please, let me know if you run into any problems.