Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I have a new chromebook and lost my wifi password. How can I…

Customer Question
I have a new...

I have a new chromebook and lost my wifi password. How can I recover it?

Technician's Assistant: When did you last change your Wi-Fi password?

I don't think ever have.

Technician's Assistant: Have you connected to this Wi-Fi network from a laptop or desktop (either Mac or PC) in the past?

I have a Mac right which is connected to my in home wifi.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?

Not right now.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Networking
3/22/2018
Network Technician: Viet - Network Tech, Computer Support Specialist replied 3 months ago
Viet - Network Tech
Viet - Network Tech, Computer Support Specialist

I'm sorry about the issue. What is the make / model of your Internet modem/router device?
Please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help. Thank you.

Solution #1:

- Please check at the back / bottom of your internet modem / router device(s) to see if there is any key / passphrase / password *****; it is case-sensitive.

Solution #2:

- If that does not work, please do the following steps on your wireless Mac computer in order to retrieve your Wi-Fi / wireless password ***** your wireless Mac computer:

1. On the Mac computer, open Finder (which is the smiley face icon near the bottom left of your computer's screen), then click on Applications.
    ; (If needed, open any folder (or click on any blank space on the Desktop screen), then click on the Go menu at the very top, then click on option Applications.)
  2. Open folder Utilities.
  3. Open the item Keychain Access.
  4. If needed, select option System under Keychains column on the left.
  5. If needed, select option Password (or All Items) under Category on the left.
    - Then you will see your network name on the right column. (It will have a kind of AirPort network password; scroll down first if needed.)
  6. Double-click on your network name in order to open it.
  7. Click on the small box in front of the option Show password at the bottom.
  8. Enter your Mac computer administrator's password, and press the Return key (or click on Allow). (If you don't have a computer's password, just leave it blank and press the Return key.)
  9. Then you will see the Network security key password ***** the box on the right. That is your Wi-Fi / wireless password; it is case-sensitive.

Please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you.

If that still does not work, can you please check at the back / bottom of your internet modem / router device(s) for the model of it? Do you also have a Windows computer?

Network Technician: Viet - Network Tech, Computer Support Specialist replied 2 months ago

How is it going?

It looks like you are not there. We can schedule another time.

When you are available, please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you.