Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I hope you can help me, my QNAP NAS keeps throwing up a

Customer Question
I hope you can...

I hope you can help me, my QNAP NAS keeps throwing up a message about not being able to resolve hosts

Technician's Assistant: Who makes your router?

Belkin

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far?

I checked my DND in my router setting and made sure it matches the NAS, I phoned my ISP and asked for help with the DND and I was told they can't supply that info, so I did more digging around online. I found many posts that suggest using Google's DNS, which I tried with no change to my problem

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?

I also tried rebooting the router and NAS

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Networking
Answered in 1 day by:
3/22/2018
Network Technician: Syseng, Computer Systems Engineer replied 1 month ago
Syseng
Syseng, Computer Systems Engineer

My name is David.

Do you still need assistance?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello David,I do still need help, the problem is still there and I have exhausted every possible avenue I can think of.I forgot to mention before, my NAS is made by QNAP.

My apologies for the delay.

What protocols are you using for NAS connectivity?

Also, are you using the NAS with remote access or LAN based storage and client connection only?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi, the NAS is on my home LAN network and it has a static IP address set at 192.168.2.2. The default gateway address is 192.168.2.1.

My apologies for the delay - I was away from my computer.

Do you share files over the Internet or only on the LAN?

Also, what protocols are you using to share files (such as FTP)?

If you are sharing files only on the local LAN, then the Google DNS configuration will not help.

What is the exact model number of your Belkin router?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi,I share files over the LAN and over the internet via bit torrent. I have a Belkin AC1200 Wireless Router, Model F9K1113.I think the issue has gone away now though, I logged into the NAS and there was no DNS error message.

Ok good. Keep testing it and see if you can force the issue to return through use, such as by restarting the clients and the server which should clear the DNS cache on the server and clients. If the issue does not return then the issue may be resolved. However, if the Belkin is not forwarding broadcasts or if broadcasts are forwarded intermittently, the issue could return as broadcasts may be how the name resolution cache on the NAS was just populated, resolving the issue.

Syseng
Syseng
Syseng, Computer Systems Engineer