Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

Cannot get Nook to connect to my WiFi. TV & computer. I

Cannot get Nook to...

Cannot get Nook to connect to my WiFi.

Technician's Assistant: Does your network appear in the Wi-Fi list on your e-reader?

No

Technician's Assistant: Are other devices (computer, phone, etc.) connecting to the router?

Yes. TV & computer

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the E-reader Expert to know before I connect you?

I probably need to update software & hardware, too.

3/21/2018
GeekGal
GeekGal, Network Administrator

Hi there! My name is*****'m sorry that you're having this trouble. It would be my pleasure to assist you. Please give me just a moment to review your question. Have you previously been able to connect your Nook to your wifi? How long has it been? Has it been stored, unused for awhile? What model is your Nook?

Please note: You may see offers for ADDITIONAL SERVICES that are automatically generated by the website. They are completely optional. Please feel free to ignore them.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I have been able to connect to WIFi before. I have kept the Nook plugged in and have used it frequently. Noticed last week that the alarm was not working. When I went to check it, I noticed that the World Clock setting had New York's time an hour ahead of my DST when they should be the same. Because I could Nook has been updated since ti's purchase, unfortunately. I also cannot find the box it came in, although I know I kept it. My Nook is a Samsung, model: SM-T230NU.

I see that you have requested a phone call. Unfortunately, payment failed. This sometimes happens when your bank sees more than one charge from the same company they suspect that there may be a mistake or possible fraud. Generally, you can clear this up with a quick phone call to assure them that the charge is valid. However, I can type instructions here for you if you would prefer that.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Just type.

I'd be happy to. Please give me just a moment to type up instructions. In the meantime, for your convenience, I am attaching a link to the user manual for your device:

http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/model/SM-T230NYKAXAC

It is in pdf format and can be saved to your computer for future reference.

If the time and/or date on your Nook is incorrect, it will not be able to connect to the internet. Let's adjust it and see if that resolves the problem.

1. From any home screen, tap Apps.
  2. Tap Settings.
  3. Select General
  4. Select DEVICE MANAGER, then Date and time.
  5. If AUTOMATIC is not selected, please select it.
  6. If Automatic is SELECTED, please uncheck Automatic date and time
  7. Tap Set date, select the date, then tap Set.
  8. Tap Set time, select the time, then tap Set.

Please try this and let me know the results.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I tapped the apps boxes at bottom right of screen, but cannot find anything that says General. When I tap Nook Apps it only shows the dictionary, etc. What am I doing wrong?

you may have a slightly newer and different version of the Nook software than the software that was originally installed. Please give me just a moment to look for updated instructions.

If you tap SETTINGS from the home screen, do you see General and Date and Time?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I see General but not date and time.
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Date and time is now there after tapping General. It is under Device Manager.

Wonderful! Please correct the date and/or time and then try again to connect to wifi. Please keep me posted.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Still cannot connect.

Thank you for the update. Please shut down your wifi and restart it by unplugging the power cord from the back. Wait a few seconds and then plug it back in. Please allow at least two full minutes fo rit to fully reconnect and re-establish connections. While you're waiting, please shut down and restart your Nook.

To turn off the Nook, press and hold the Power button, and then tap Power off. Afte ryou have restarted both the wifi router and the Nook, please let me know if you are able to connect.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
The Nook is taking a very long time to power off. I have already unplugged, waited, and re-pligged the Wi-Fi. It is still booting up.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Have just noticed a wrench symbol in top left corner of the Nook screen. Nook is still powering off.

Thank you for the update. Restarting can often solve a lot of issues. I apologize but I am going to have to leave office for approximately an hour. I will check on you again just as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience. .

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Okay. Sigh.
I can continue to answer questions on my cell phone, if you’d like to keep me updated.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Sure, but don't want to give you indigestion if you are going to lunch. Nook is still shutting down!
Thank you but I’m not at lunch lol! I had to drive husband to eye doc. Im never sure what WiFi status will be and my response times may not be as good as usual
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Do what you have to do. I can do something else for now. Thanks.
It’s actually a good sign that it is taking a while to shut down. It may be applying some needed updates and all may be well after it restarts
You’re welcome. Just keep me posted and I’ll check in frequently
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Hooray! Will let you know what happens.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Will do.

Just checking in to see how it's going. Did that resolve the problem for you?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Well, after doing other things and taking a nap, the Nook is still shutting down. There must be something very wrong.

I am very sorry to hear that. Let's try a forced shutdown. Please press and hold the power button for 20 seconds. Note: I recommend that you use a timer. release the power buttons when the Nook is off. When it has been powered off completely, Press and hold the power button for two seconds to turn the Nook back on. Please try this and let me know the results. If all else fails we can try to do a factory reset on it. You don't have to worry about losing access to your purchased books as they are tied to your Barnes and Noble Nook account. After resetting it, just connect it to your wifi network, then register it to your existing Nook account and you will easily be able to redownload any of your previously purchased books.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Held the button down for 20 sec. It turned off and on again. The clock, which we had worked on early today, is wrong again. Nothing seems to have been deleted.

I'm sorry. It is sounding more and more like a hardware issue. Would you like to try resetting it to factory defaults? Please be aware that a factory reset will erase everything and we may not be able to get it back if we can't get the device connected to wifi.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Well, my question is, if I were to get a new tablet, is it possible to transfer things from the old as they do it with phones?
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Also, what does a factory reset cost?

If you'd like to try a factory reset, please got to Settings, then Device Info, then tap Erase & Deregister Device twice, and then tap "Reset Nook" to confirm.

Yes, you will be able to get all of your previously purchased books on your new tablet. You'll just need to register it to your to your existing Nook account and you will easily be able to redownload any of your previously purchased books.

There is no additional cost associated with doing a factory reset.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Great news! (I think.) When I turned the Nook on to do the factory reset, it had updated and Wi-Fi is now connected! Hooray!

That's awesome! Would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? I'd really appreciate it! You can give your rating by selecting the stars located on the top right of the question page and then clicking on submit.

If you should have any followup issues or if the problem recurs, be sure to let me know. I am committed to working with you until the problem is fully resolved. Thank you!

GeekGal
GeekGal, Network Administrator
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Alison, thank you so much! I am much relieved. Hope your husband's appt. went well. Until we meet again...Donna

Thank you! If you have any other questions or if you need more help, just let me know. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/2nG6XLy and ask for GeekGal. Have a good evening!

GeekGal
GeekGal
GeekGal, Network Administrator