Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

When I switch to Smartcast I'm getting no network dectected.

Customer Question
When I switch to...

When I switch to Smartcast I'm getting no network dectected

Technician's Assistant: Is there a particular streaming service you're trying to connect to (e.g. Netflix or YouTube)?

Netflix

Technician's Assistant: How is your internet connection? Have you tried unplugging your modem and router, then plugging them back in?

I've already done that

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

Used my iPhone to re enter the wifi password ***** it just loops, asking for the network and password. When I go into the menu and to Network, then to Manual Setup all the addreses are zeros

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Networking
3/21/2018
Network Technician: Joel Kalman, LAN/WAN Engineer replied 1 month ago
Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, LAN/WAN Engineer

Hello. I am pleased to assist you today. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem.

What are the make and model of your smartphone? Who is your wireless carrier?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What do I need to do to restore my network connection to my Visio smart TV?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, I don’t want to pay $39 to have you securely connect
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you going to help or not?

You can ignore the offer for Secure Remote Assistance. It was generated automatically and did not come from me.

You began by describing some troubleshooting that you performed on your smartphone. Would you please share with me the make and model of your smartphone so that I can answer your question?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Why do you need my smartphone info and carrier. I don’t have a problem with it. It’s my Visio Smart TV

Because your smartphone is useful for troubleshooting, and i need to know what type of smartphone it is.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
iPhone 6sx, Sprint Carrier

Thak you. I cannot duplicate your smartphone. I have a Galaxy S7. IP addresses have a special format consisting of four decimal numbers ranging from 0 - 255 separated by periods (called dots). Do I understand that the IP addresses shown under your network name on your iphone are o.o.o.o?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You can use the your phone to access the Visio smart tv setup. No problem in accessing the Visio tv, but the tv won’t reconnect to my wireless network.

Is your iPhone connect to the wifi network?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Joel, forget it. I’m on my smartphone and it just fine. My wireless network is fine. You don’t understand I guess.I can’t access the network with my Visio smart tv to watch Netflix, amazon prime, e

I am sorry for the confusion. I did not understand that you were using your iPhone to troubleshoot your TV. I thought you were using your iPhone to troubleshoot your wifi network. I understand now.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Great. Now let’s try this again

So I will ask the same question about your TV that I asked about your iPhone: IP addresses have a special format consisting of four decimal numbers, ranging from 0-255 and separated by periods (called dots). Do I understand that the IP addresses shown under your network name on your TV are 0.0.0.0?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
up address 0000
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Subnet mask 0000
Default Gateway 0000
Pref DSN server 0000
Alt DSN server 0000

Thank you. Those addresses should be written as 0.0.0.0. And the server names should be written as DNS (Domain Name Server), not DSN. If you can get to a menu where you can manually configure these addresses, we can figure out what addresses should be configured. You may be able to read out some of the correct addresses from your iPnone.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m am in the menu and in manual setup for the network
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
On the tv
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you still there?

I need yu to get the addresses from your iPhone and from your computer and your printer. Is your computer a pc or a mac? What is your computer operating system?

Your television needs to be configured with addresses that are compatible and non-conflicting with all your other devices on your wifi network.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Joel, no I’m not going to do that. This Tv has been working just fine until today. When we bought the tv all I had to do was enter the network name and password. I did not need to enter all the address you are asking for.It’s past midnight here, i’m 74 years old and I’m going to bed

I understand that you do not want to do all of that. If you can get the device address, gateway address, subnet mask, and DNS Server address from your iPhone we can guess at an unused device address to assign to your TV. There are only a few chances in 256 that we will have a conflict, and we will be able to tell if we do and change to another TV address. For some reason, your TV has lost its configuration and lost its ability to connect to your wifi network, and manually configuring it is a necessary troubleshooting step to determine what has gone work=ng. In view of the late hour on the East Coast, we can resume this conversation tomorrow. I am on the West Coast.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That will be fine, until tomorrow

Grea!. Talk to you later. Have a good night.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I fixed the problem myself, by unplugging the TV. Connection with the WiFi has been established.

Fantastic! Thank you for the valuable feedback. I will remember to have my customers do that first. Thank you for your patience and understanding, and have a wonderful day!

Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, LAN/WAN Engineer