Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

On a Windows 10 update, the WiFi files in my Asus computer…

Customer Question
On a Windows 10...

On a Windows 10 update, the WiFi files in my Asus computer appear to have been corrupted and there is no longer any way to link into my WiFi. Looking for how to restore/replace them with no longer having an Internet connection.

Technician's Assistant: Are you able to connect using an ethernet cable?

Yes - with an online tech. It didn't work.

Technician's Assistant: Which lights are colored and/or blinking on your router?

I'm not at home, but the top is blinking and the second is on. All other devices in my apartment are working fine. Originally, when I restored a prior version of Windows, the WiFi was back and fine, but it won't let me do that anymore.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?

Just that I'm not currently at home at the computer. I was hoping there was a way to be sent the necessary files to reload.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Networking
3/20/2018
Network Technician: Byron, PC Support Tech replied 1 month ago
Byron
Byron, PC Support Tech

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist.

When you are at home,

Please perform these steps:

Click the start menu button and open Settings (the gear icon)

On the Settings page click Network & Internet

From the vertical menu on the left side of the page select Status

At the bottom of the page click

Network Reset>>Reset Now

and confirm the reset.

The process takes about 5 minutes and requires a restart (you'll get a notification at the 2-minute-to-restart mark)

Once the process has finished try connecting again.

Let me know the result please.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm not going to be home until later in the day, but I'll give this a try. I think it might have been tried by an online tech when this first happened about a month ago, but I'll try again. Obviously though I won't be able to give you a response.

Thank you. On the machine when you open up the wi-fi icon in the lower right by the time/date,

does it display the list of Wi-fi networks?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, that's the problem. Everything about WiFi was gone after the Windows update. When you click that button, the only option is Airplane mode. That's why I was looking for files to reload to enable a connection.

OK. Try my instructions first. If that doesn't help, click the start menu button and open Settings (the gear icon)

Open Update & Security

Click Windows Update

Click View installed update history

Click Uninstall Updates

Look in the Microsoft Windows section of the page.

All the updates are dated so you can uninstall the one that caused the problem.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
After I lost the option to revert to a prior Windows version, I tried that. It would not let me uninstall the update. Gotta love Windows 10. And unfortunately, when I could go back, it automatically started the update again with no choice to cancel it.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just got a notification that you answered, but no answer came up.

The automated email may be a little slow.

Try my instructions and let me know how it goes.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Since I won't be able to do that until tonight, how do I let you know?

Will you be back tomorrow where you are right now?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago

Yes, but since I'm at work, not sure if I'll be able to take the time tomorrow. And unfortunately I have to go now. But I'll try your suggestion and see what happens. If you could possibly e-mail me with how to get in touch with you tomorrow ([email protected]), that would be great. Thanks either way.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Please close out this session.
Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer