Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I'm trying unsuccessfully to connect my windows 10 laptop…

Customer Question
I'm trying unsuccessfully to...

I'm trying unsuccessfully to connect my windows 10 laptop with my Xfinity Smart TV via an HDMI cable. One end of the cable fits nicely into my laptop USB port but I can't find any port on my Xfinity box that will accept the other end of the cable.

Technician's Assistant: Are you getting any error messages when you try to connect to Xfinity?

No. I simply can't plug in the HDMI cable.

Technician's Assistant: How is your internet connection? Have you tried unplugging your modem and router, then plugging them back in?

Yes, I did. I should mention that I had already tried to make a wi-fi connection by navigating through Xfinity's Tools\Network

Wireless\Xfinity network, andI get an error message.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

Yes, please give me a minute to get te he actual message.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Networking
3/17/2018
Network Technician: Sheri, Certified Networking Engineer replied 4 months ago
Sheri
Sheri, Certified Networking Engineer

Thanks for using JustAnswer. I am happy to assist you with this issue. What exactly are yoiu trying to do? Do you want the laptop to display on the TV? If so, just connect one end of the HDMI cable to the laptop and the other end to the TV, not the cable box. Then get the TV remote and change the input or source to the laptop.

Please reply and let me know if that works for you or if you have any questions. Then we can go to the next step if needed.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

Regards,

Sheri-Expert

Hi, I haven't heard back from you. I just wanted to follow up to see if everything is resolved and whether you still need assistance. Please reply and let me know.

Regards,

Sheri-Expert