Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I have an old AirPort ExtremeA1408 that I have been using to…

Customer Question
I have an old...

I have an old AirPort ExtremeA1408 that I have been using to extend my network. (I have an IMac connected to Xfinity/Comcast ethernet and then a newer AirPort Extreme as my primary base station. The older base station I was using to extend my network is all the way across my house (old plaster walls) and used mainly for getting Netflix. The other night it just seemed to quit. Light was amber. Tried to reset, now it just flashes amber. I've tried a soft reset multiple times, a hard reset (not factory). Still flashes amber. PLUS, it does not show up AT ALL in Airport Utility. I even tried plugging it directly in the the iMAC, and still nothing. Do you think the old Extreme bas station is dead at this point? I'm not sure how old it is. Pretty old in the world of electronics.

Technician's Assistant: Are you able to connect using an ethernet cable?

I am able. I already tried that though, and no dice.

Technician's Assistant: Which lights are colored and/or blinking on your router?

Nothing is colored on the router, an everything is lit. Occasionally the 2.4GHz and the 5 GHz will blink a little. then go back to solid.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?

I can't think of anything. I'm not super tech saavy, so you'll have to dumb everything down for me. I am, however, pretty good at scouring the web for instructions.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Networking
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just wondering if I should continue to wait. It's been almost an hour I've been waiting. Is that usual?
3/16/2018
Network Technician: Richard, Network Specialist replied 1 month ago
Richard, Network Specialist

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to JustAnswer. I'll be the one to assist you with your question regarding your Airport Extreme. I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

Can you remove the power to the unit, then wait 5 minutes, connect the power and tell me if it then starts correctly.

Please let me know

thank you

Richard, Network Specialist